1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

sales tax in ohio

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dbc45420, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. dbc45420

    dbc45420 LawnSite Member
    from ohio
    Messages: 21

    Wondering if anyone here from ohio can advise on this. I was researching about the service vendors liscence i thought i needed but seems in ohio if you do under 5000 dollars in service your not considered a lawn and landscaping service. Does this make sense? I am sure i can call them but just thought i would post this here first. Do i need ant vendors lisence at all? And is this what is refered to here as your "business lisence"?

  2. mow king

    mow king LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 571

    If you gross less than $5000 then you don't need to collect sales tax.
  3. dbc45420

    dbc45420 LawnSite Member
    from ohio
    Messages: 21

    I forgot to add, that this is my part time work. And not sure how big i will get. Right now only a handful of customers. So can you tell me, I will not have a business lisence then?
  4. LawnBrother

    LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio
    Messages: 867

    I think the Ohio Dept of Taxation's wording is a little fuzzy on this(or maybe it's my memory!), but as I recall, you do need a service vendor's license if you plan on earning over $400 during the year. If it is reasonable to expect that you will do over $5000 in sales, then you must collect sales tax. If you are unsure about how much much sales you will do, and it is your first year in business, then you do not have to collect tax until you hit the $5000 mark in sales. Once you hit that mark, you must begin collecting tax. In any case, I recommend you go ahead and get a service vendor's license. But you don't have to take my word for it. Here is a link to get you all the paperwork you will need from the state. You simply answer a few questions and then you can download a forms packet that should tell you all you need to know. :) Good Luck
  5. Turbo

    Turbo LawnSite Member
    from midwest
    Messages: 18

    Hey dbc45420. these guys are right, I talked to Ohio tax today, they said you make over 5000.00 dollars for the year of 2005, you need collect Ohio sales tax money, and then file with the state. Dave :dizzy:
  6. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    but you still need the vendors licence......

Share This Page