Same company has mowed my moms yard for 35 years

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Jasburrito, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

Growing up steve cut my mom and dads yard. He mowed a bunch in the subdivision. Seems he usually had two employees. He was/is successful. Nice house, Muscle cars and took the winters off. So i asked her the other day how much he charges. She said he started off at $28 35 years ago. And now was at 40. Just had to share. Thanks

BrandonV and RussellB like this.
  2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

How many man hrs does he take to mow Mom's yard?

3. OP
    OP
    Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

Not sure. I remember he did/does lawns on left and right. So he was doing at least 3 at once. I used find my lot size. Seems she has about 15000 sq ft. She is located in the most affluent county in mi.

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Is that with the house, landscaping and hardscape?

Cam15, Walker56 and RussellB like this.
  5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll bet a bunch of people who have been doing this for decades are seeing the same thing. If it wasn't for increased efficiency we'd be doing something else. When I started there were about 20 lawn services in Wilmington. There must be 500 by now.
    Every summer I see craigslist ads for "complete lawn service package" These are probably the same folks advertising $30 cuts on any lawn. I have raised prices but no way have they kept up with inflation the last 30 years.

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Started in '92. Pricing is probably 25-35% higher now than then. Began with a 36" mower but now use 60's. Bigger, better equipment has led to much better financial results.

7. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The big thing with us is when the shipyards gave out severance packages years ago everyone went out and bought a mower and trailer. Now, granted most of them didn't stick with it but still every year there's more and more fly by night guys. I'm 14 years in and grateful for were we are now but, it's a ever changing pattern.