Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious to see if anyone else buys their gas from Sams Club.

I've been putting 87 octane in all my equipment, and have noticed lately that all of my handheld stuff is running like crap.

I've been using the same Stihl FS80r trimmer for over 15 years, and it's never failed to impress. Until this year. Start ups take longer, warm ups take longer, and it seems down on power.

My BR800 blower doesn't want to start as well, and same for my brand new KM131 4-mix trimmer. The blower takes longer to warm up than I remember, which is odd.

Likewise, my tow vehicle (2008 Ford Expedition) has been getting terrible gas mileage lately - down 20% easily - and my wife mentioned that her car has been acting strange as well.

Perhaps I should eat the extra cost, and go a few weeks on 93 octane to see if there's any improvement.

But I wanted to see if anyone else is using gas from Sams Club in their equipment, and what their experience is.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
At 20-30 cents per gallon less, yes, I do buy most of my gas at Sam's.

I don't calculate gas mileage. Doesn't matter what it is - when it's close to E you have to add more regardless.

Haven't noticed anything bad I can attribute to the gas. I really only use it in my backpack and that's been running fine.
I've been using my Stihl string trimmer while I wait for a new spool for my cordless and THAT has been acting up, but I suspect it's the trimmer - not the gas.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Like mentioned, it all comes from the same pipeline. Only difference is top teir gas gets an additive package added when the gas goes into the delivery truck.
There's more than that but if everyone were to start using premium it would only drive the price of fuel even higher.

·
Registered
25,490 Posts
I'll add my experience to another gas thread

I run premium in 2 stroke !

The company I worked for when e10 came out had problems

Dealer recommended to switch to premium they're too cheap too switch and rather complain about the equipment

Owners manual says 89 octane or better!!

I ran 89 1 season and had issues in the spring

Switch to premium and 0 issues since
Also red armor has a fuel stabilizer

·
Registered
10 Posts
I prefer Kroger gas and fuel points when I'm close to there. I run ethanol free in my hand helds, Wal-Mart now has 91 ethanol free. I'll gladly spend the extra to hopefully avoid any fuel related problems.

I have seen gas prices $0.30 - $0.40 higher in Lauderdale County, TN vs. Lake and Dyer County, TN.

Was $3.96 for regular with ethanol this morning in Dyersburg, TN at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like mentioned, it all comes from the same pipeline. Only difference is top teir gas gets an additive package added when the gas goes into the delivery truck.
Different resellers have various packages added to their fuel before it is delivered. Shell & Chevron are two that I know have additive packages added, even to their 87 octane. Some resellers like WalMart and chain stores don't require these additive packages.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be filling up this evening or next. I'll try premium. Outside of saving some money, Sams Club is only a couple miles from my house, near a couple of my accounts too.

If I don't notice an improvement in a few weeks, I'll switch to another gas station, like a shell, etc.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Perhaps I should eat the extra cost, and go a few weeks on 93 octane to see if there's any improvement.
Using an octane higher than recommended is just a waste of time. But I do spend the extra money to get ethanol free for all my small engines and I think it does help. When I was last at Costco, the cost of 89 octane ethanol free was about 7% more than regular 87 octane.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I'll be filling up this evening or next. I'll try premium. Outside of saving some money, Sams Club is only a couple miles from my house, near a couple of my accounts too.

If I don't notice an improvement in a few weeks, I'll switch to another gas station, like a shell, etc.
My guess is you got gas from a tank with water in it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts