Saratoga Springs/Glens falls, NY Market?

mkwl

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hey guys-

I'm looking for some input on the market around Saratoga Springs/Glens Falls, NY for landscape contracting (design/build/maintain/snow).

Currently, I have a small LC business in Northern, NJ- there' definitely demand for the service here (everyone uses a landscaper), but the competition is fierce- TONS of landscapers around here.......

So that got me thinking about moving my business upstate- but I'd like some input on whether or not there's really a demand for a high-end landscape contractor in that area? From what I've seen/heard, there definitely is a need, but I'd like your input also.....

Thanks!

Matt

deereequipment

LawnSite Senior Member
I did parttime work there 7 years ago.
Not alot of work there.
Alot of snow removal, but not alot of "new" commercial mowing work, unless you are really good at taking work away from other companies.

OP
mkwl

mkwl

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ok so that's one vote against the move upstate.... anyone else?

deereequipment

LawnSite Senior Member
might be more work in Albany, Troy, Schnectady, so living someplace closer to there might be more beneficial.

From what I heard of friends back there, Glens Falls area in the past few years has had alot of out of work paper workers/forresters, so alot of folks looking for work too.

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
Ok so that's one vote against the move upstate.... anyone else?
Thing is upstate new york has areas where people can afford landscaping and those that can't.

You have to do your HW and find the places that have potential.

But the question is why leave NJ?

There is no shortage of landscapers any where that I know of. You will have the same propblems getting business any where else. There are established LCO's every where.

BradLewisLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
Definitely work if you are competent. A lot of hacks around. Saratoga has some very high end clientele and many people in the area don't live there until track season.