Save My Marriage; Z Turn White Smoke

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Are We There Yet, Aug 16, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Are We There Yet

Are We There Yet LawnSite Member

John Deere

Z540M

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

This sounds like trolling, but we will go along for a bit. Your anti scalp wheels are too high, bring them down a notch.

3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

You are putting additional wear on the parts that engage the blades and probably the belt driving them, yes. It's not a gentle operation.

However it's also a fairly common practice with people who want to create perfect edge to edge stripes. If anything does fail it's going to be repairable, and things like belts need replacement eventually anyway.

When you blow off the driveway he's probably just worried about sand and pebbles wearing down the edge of the blade.

Are We There Yet likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Are We There Yet

OK so I am "wrong" for turning the blade on/off frequently??? I can take criticism but I also don't want him jumping on my a$$ just because he thinks I don't know any better. And YES. I told him to "chill out" but not so nicely.

5. OP
    OP
    Are We There Yet

REPAIRABLE as in EXPENSIVE???? I need knowledge (argument retaliation knowledge) so he's not taking out his USUAL frustrations on me . . . guilt tripping me into thinking I'm causing thousands of dollars worth of damage.

re: blowing off driveway . . . NO, not because of throwing rocks . . . he specifically states "I putting wear and tear on _____ part" . . . but cant remember what the part name is

And regarding blowing off

6. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Take your mower to the dealer, still under warranty, and go see a marriage counselor, this is about mowing right?

7. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

You shouldn't be kicking the blades on and off all of the time, like someone else posted it will probably wear out your clutch quicker than normal. Blowing the driveway off with the mower is not going to harm anything. The smoke, I don't know, is your choke on or was there oil in your gas can? Definitely check the oil in the mower to make sure it's not low.

Are We There Yet and hort101 like this.
  8. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think it's expensive, similar to repairing a car if an alternator or starter died?

I don't want to sound rude but we can't really help you with the problems you seem to have.

9. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

You're wrong in turning blades off and on so much. But it shouldn't burn white smoke. My blades get turned off and on 60 to 120 times a week depending on trash, gates etc. 36 weeks of mowing...had the mower just under 7 years...so ya probably haven't done much to the clutch...but stop doing that.

You're not ruining anything by blowing off with the mower...I do that with mine....just adds time to hour meter...which is technically more wear and tear but not really.

Take it to dealer or get a new hubby....maybe both.

10. WILCO_99

WILCO_99 LawnSite Member

White smoke after refilling the tank tells me there's probably water in the gas. I'd drain it out and refill from another station.