• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Saved the competition!

elshauno

LawnSite Member
Yesterday I pulled up to my girlfriends house got out of my truck and started toward the door. I glanced over at the rival companies trailer which was parked by the next door neighbors house and I saw fire. I instinctively ran up to see what was burning. Right about that time one of the crew members from the rival company noticed it and ran up as well . I told him to go to another neighbors house who was mowing the lawn and ask for a fire extinguisher and to call 911. He did while I ran to my girlfriends house to ask the same question. I ran over with a 30 year old extinguisher and squeezed the trigger. EMPTY. So I ran back to my girlfriends house and extended the hose which had to have been 150 feet long as close as I could to the mower that was on fire and sprayed it which barely made it. But it did and it made a decent knockdown on the fire which thankfully had not spread to the gas tank. It turns out it was just a debris bag on a Exmark walk behind burning that started from a Wright Standers exhaust making contact with the bag Lesson Learned YOU MUST HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER OR YOU COULD LOOSE YOUR EQUIPMENT! Although the gas tank wasn't at risk in this particular situation it could have been rendering the water useless. Coincidentally I also serve as a firefighter for the local township that the fire occured in so I'll have something to talk about next shift at the firehouse.

carcrz

LawnSite Silver Member
I caught some leaves on fire underneath my Walker mower. AAAAHHHHHH!!!! Luckily I was @ my own house & that truck & trailer went dashing across the lawn to get it hosed off ASAP!

lawnspecialties

LawnSite Silver Member
My dealer carries Hustler, Toro, and Walker. They told me they see almost one mower a year come in burnt up due to leaves and debris collecting around the engine and exhaust.:hammerhead:

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
I caught a big pile of leaves on fire in a lawn last fall. I was backing over them to chop them up, and a big pile got under the muffler, and I had a pretty good fire pretty quick. Luckily nothing on the mower caught fire, and I was able to stomp out the leaves that were on fire.

I saw a toasted Walker diesel a couple months ago at a dealer. Guess the owner fixed a broken fuel line with duct tape. FACT- you can fix ALMOST everything with duct tape, just NOT fuel lines:laugh: