1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Saving driveway grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MSlawnman, Oct 10, 2019.

1. MSlawnman

MSlawnman LawnSite Member

Strange request I imagine, but I have thick, luxurious grass growing in my driveway cracks. It’s zoysia grass and I’m trying to find a way to get it out but save it and enough roots to successfully transplant it.

If I were to buy as much as there’s growing in the cracks it would probably be several hundred dollars worth. And, I’ve got several poor areas in the lawn where I could really use it. Which is kind of ironic that it grows so well where you don’t want it and not so well where you do.

In any case, I was thinking of taking the power sprayer and seeing if that would get it out, alive. Has anyone else tried this or have a way to remove it and keep it alive? I tried using a sharp knife and could get very little roots that way.

Thanks

2. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Pictures would help but from what I'm picturing in my head based on your description I doubt you're going to have much luck saving any significant amount of it.

It's extremely difficult to get weeds or grass roots out of the cracks or expansion joints in a concrete driveway. That's why we usually either just spray them with roundup or weed wack the top .

GrassManKzoo and MSlawnman like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    MSlawnman

8153548C-5886-4CF8-AE8F-1DA5BE1F8207.jpeg 45F92CE9-2AB9-4122-B3E2-54856FACA680.jpeg A8F5A71A-F12F-41C8-9DC7-18371DA9EC86.jpeg 33E671DD-DB4B-4BEB-AA35-D2AADA147565.jpeg
    Yea, was kind of afraid of that. Here’s some pictures though. I also included a picture of a spot right next to this that could really use some of that grass from the cracks.

4. OP
    OP
    MSlawnman

WHY, WHY, WHY does it grow so well in cracks in the concrete where it gets nothing but abuse and not grow well in spots where it gets tender, loving care? Life’s mysteries I guess.

GrassManKzoo and morty60 like this.
  5. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Get yourself one of these...doesn't have to be that brand.....Look up "Sod Knife" It'll probably help most in the area in that first pic where the gap is looks to be a tad wider than the others.

Hard to explain, but you could go straight down along the cracks on each side like cutting a cake (depending on the actual width of the cracks) a couple/few inches, then kind of pry it up while gently pulling on the grass. I've never done this so this may or may not work, but at the very least you've cleaned out the cracks...at best you get to do what you want and you have a nifty new tool

https://www.amazon.com/Nisaku-NJP65...nt=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-317488791972&psc=1

MSlawnman likes this.
  6. Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

What about adding some top soil to the grass and wait for it to root higher up? If course you can't disturb it until your able to cut it.

MSlawnman likes this.
  7. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

That's actually considerably wider than I was imagining. You could probably use the flat side of a pickaxe (or something similar) and digout some of it with enough roots to transplant it.

8. OP
    OP
    MSlawnman

That’s a cool looking knife! I think you’re right, even if it doesn’t work I’d like to have one.

9. OP
    OP
    MSlawnman

I can try that also. I was thinking of trying to get some sort of blade under it and tapping it with a rubber mallet to cut the roots as long as I could. I still think I should soak it with water a good long time.

It’s not that the grass growing there bothers me that much, it’s more that I’d really like to use it. But, if I can’t save it, it’s gone - Roundup time.