1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag 48” V+ Horrible Front Blowout Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Blainethompson, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Blainethompson

Blainethompson LawnSite Senior Member

So I have a buddies Scag Tiger Cub II with 48” velocity plus deck. When he purchased it used it came with the full mulch kit w/ eye of the hurricane plates and a set of very worn and beat to hell mulch blades. It is used for mowing the acreage around his house, bar ditch etc (kinda like a field mower). We decided to take the mulch kit off and go to side discharge. Put a new set of gator blades on it and this thing blows more dirt and grass out the front then the side now. I’m talking driver is covered in dirt and grass in less then 10 minutes.
    The mower doesn’t cut nice turf that it can seal against, i know that doesn’t help but it shouldn’t be this bad.
    I suggested putting the mulch kit back on and it evidently it ended up in a scrap bin and it’s out of the question now. :hammerhead:
    So is it the blades causing the blowout?
    Do i need high lift blades?
    Seems these blades move a lot of air just not in the right direction?
    Is there some kind of special baffle that gets removed when the mulch kit is installed that is for side discharge?
    Thanks for the help!!!!:mechanic::popcorn:

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on your throttle control type/design, but turning the engine speed down 'can' help...w/o affecting forward speed too negatively.

3. Blainethompson

That was the first thing i tried. Even at half throttle it’s still moving a continuous wave of dirt and grass out the front.. :wall

4. sjessen and fatboynormmie like this.
  5. Blainethompson

Sweet! I figured there was something missing! Thanks a lot. Wouldn’t happen to have an idea on price would you?

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The mower is losing suction, which in return generates blowout. There is one of two things that will eliminate, or at least cut down on your blowout. You can lower your cutting height, or change blades to produce more lift, both will increase suction. You would like to see everything the deck cuts moving out the discharge opening, not blowing out from underneath the front of the deck and covering the operator.

Did not realize there was a front baffle missing, that is your problem!

7. Bassyarddog

Bassyarddog LawnSite Member

You need the baffle in front it’s adjustable for 3 positions

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Might a blade be upside down? Mistakes happen.

9. Blainethompson

When i first got involved with this mower is had the mulch kit on it. I knew nothing of the baffle needed for side discharge. Until now. Really appreciate the help. And one have an idea on price for the baffle that I’m missing? Thanks again for the help!

10. Blainethompson

Checked the blades already. Wish it was that easy