Scag 48 SWZ walk behind, needs carb

ngant17

LawnSite Member
Mechanics just diagnosed my Scag mower, it's has original Briggs Vanguard V-twin 16hp engine (code is 9702141). Which means it's over 20 years old. Running fine, strong compression but burns a little oil over time. Finally it seems the carburetor is DOA according to shop.

Unfortunately the original carb, the Briggs Flo-Jet side-draft one-piece, it was discontinued in 2014 and no longer available as an OEM replacement.

I'm considering fabricating an intake manifold and adapt a Kohler K-series K-341 carburetor, which is used on 14-16hp engines such as the John Deere Tractor 316 and Cub Cadet 1600. It is a widely available carb. I have access to welder to weld the intake manifold but I'm wondering if anyone has been in the situation before. Advice always appreciated. Not ready to get rid of Scag 48in. mower just yet.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Got a part # for that exact carb? I put the name you gave into Google and a bunch popped up, ranging from new to used.

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
Mechanics just diagnosed my Scag mower, it's has original Briggs Vanguard V-twin 16hp engine (code is 9702141). Which means it's over 20 years old. Running fine, strong compression but burns a little oil over time. Finally it seems the carburetor is DOA according to shop.

Unfortunately the original carb, the Briggs Flo-Jet side-draft one-piece, it was discontinued in 2014 and no longer available as an OEM replacement.

I'm considering fabricating an intake manifold and adapt a Kohler K-series K-341 carburetor, which is used on 14-16hp engines such as the John Deere Tractor 316 and Cub Cadet 1600. It is a widely available carb. I have access to welder to weld the intake manifold but I'm wondering if anyone has been in the situation before. Advice always appreciated. Not ready to get rid of Scag 48in. mower just yet.
I think this topic would be in the mechanic and repair category so the mechanic folks like @Walker56 he has been great help to some of my issues I've had with things. just letting you know.

OP
ngant17

ngant17

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the tip. I'm currently posting here:
Forums / Lawn and Landscape Maintenance / Lawn Mowing Equipment
I'll cross-post at Forums / Equipment / Mechanic and Repair as suggested. Direct link here:
https://www.lawnsite.com/forums/mechanic-and-repair.35/
Probably the best subgroup as some postings are about Kohler carbs there.

OP
ngant17

ngant17

LawnSite Member
Got a part # for that exact carb? I put the name you gave into Google and a bunch popped up, ranging from new to used.
My Briggs Vanguard V-twin manual states the carb for this early Vanguard engine is a one-piece Flo-Jet side-draft for my model series. Local mower shop has done work on Scag 48in before, they also confirm that the OEM carb is no longer manufactured and it's not worth trying to fix. Probably phased out by Briggs as a EPA emissions issue.

I'm willing to try to get another mowing season or two with this Scag mower, using a different carb to fit with a custom intake manifold. Kohler looks like a decent choice. I wouldn't be comfortable with getting an ebay special for a used OEM 20yr old Vanguard carb, I've seen at least one listed.

Other mechanical operations such as dual hydraulic pumps are fine so it's perhaps worth installing a new Vanguard engine for the 48in Scag WB at some point. OTOH actual motor compression of original is strong enough to keep breaking starter pull cords, as shop mechanics probably found that out when I got my mower back. Trick on this one is to pull the rope on the downside of compression cycle to avoid fighting the old Vanguard's power stroke.

Last edited: