Scag 52" Walk behind leaking oil when tilted

tieguy77

LawnSite Member
Hi All,

I have an older 52" hydro walk behind (metal hydro tank) that runs great except for a new oil leak. The engine is a Koehler. If the mower is titled deck up toward the controls, oil comes out fairly steadily onto the pulleys underneath.

I let it run on a level surface for about 10 minutes....no leak. As soon as I tipped it up...leak. I got distracted and overfilled the oil a while back and am just curious how much my stupidity is going to cost me....approximately.

Thank you!

Bobby

OP
T

tieguy77

LawnSite Member
I'm sorry, I should have specified. It's leaking motor oil when I tilt it.....for example I noticed it when taking it down the ramps from the shed it's stored in. Nice little trail of motor oil right there on the cement.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Drain out the oil to the correct amount. Why run it over filled?

OP
T

tieguy77

LawnSite Member
Drain out the oil to the correct amount. Why run it over filled?
Indeed that's on my list of things to do. However, after I overfilled it I was away for a bit. Came back and didn't give it a second thought and mowed a few times as usual since then. So I am assuming the damage is already done. Ran fine, no smoking etc...today was the first time I noticed anything unusual.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Just drain it or suck it out the fill pipe you should be fine.

OP
T

tieguy77

LawnSite Member
Just drain it or suck it out the fill pipe you should be fine.
Thanks Hal, so you think there is a possibility that this is just a result of my foolishly overfilling it and that I didn't blow any gaskets or seals?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Oil gotta go somewhere, the path of least resistance. At any rate you still have to get rid of the excess oil, or just keep tilting it until it stops.

OP
T

tieguy77

LawnSite Member
Oil gotta go somewhere, the path of least resistance. At any rate you still have to get rid of the excess oil, or just keep tilting it until it stops.
Lol, just keep tilting it until it stops. Since it is leaking out of the bottom, wouldn't that imply that something is already "broken"?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Lol, just keep tilting it until it stops. Since it is leaking out of the bottom, wouldn't that imply that something is already "broken"?
I must have missed that detail, hmm well get it to the right level and see if it stops, if not???