Scag 61 turf tiger

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kevin Schafer, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Kevin Schafer

Kevin Schafer LawnSite Member

Do I need to replace bolt wheel Motors in the hydraulic pumps when one wheel motor goes bad

2. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Platinum Member

you may not have to, but i feel that would be the best policy, that way you know what you have in going forward with the machine.

3. Kevin Schafer

The dealership wants to replace both Hydro Motors both wheel Motors will the total bill of $3,700 the machine 16 years old but it has a brand new Scag 27 horse liquid-cooled motor on it with two year warranty left and I am the original owner I can wrench retired from General Motors been doing lawn care for 35-40 years you think I can pull them all down myself

4. hal

hal LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

If you are a wrencher, it is not that hard to take the pumps and wheel motors and have them rebuilt for a couple hundred each and reinstall them yourself. Just be real, real clean about it and flush the hoses (or replace) for a lot less. There are plenty of threads on this and with a little work your unit will be ready to go.

Doc8406 likes this.
  5. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Member

Yipes.

If I understand, you have one bad wheel motor, although your dealer might suspect the second is at least close to failing. Unless there is substantially more than the two wheel motors that would be replaced, that quote sounds way high.

If these are the original wheel motors, it is not unreasonable that after 16 years they are due to be replaced. Still, I would lean toward putting off replacement of one that is still working. If you can get another 2 years out of it, the machine will then be 18 years old, and you could decide then whether to continue to put money into such repairs.

If the reason for replacement of the one wheel motor is simply that it is leaking oil, you should be able to get a new seal kit for under $100. I replaced the seals in one of my wheel motors, it was not difficult and did not take long.

If the reason for replacement is something other than just leaking oil, I would replace the wheel motor with a new one. They cost several hundred dollars, but I think that would be better than having some new and some old components mixed together. A wheel motor can be swapped out in under 30 minutes. Like hal says, be clean when doing it.

Walker56 likes this.
  6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

The short answer is no, ya ain't gotta replace both.
    How did you determine one wheel motor is bad ?
    Try sticking a long magnet probe/stick, etc in the hyd. tank and see what you come up with.
    It can get right involved : flushing the tank, flushing the motors, and lines, R&R pumps, inspecting em fer damage/debris, etc. Not hard, jes a PIA.
    As others have mentioned, most all the pumps & motors are rebuildabls, not overly complicated at that, BUT, some of the Parker motor parts can be a bear to find. If ya gots Parker motors. Ya need to figger out which one ya gots.
    Go to scags website and get ya a parts list.
    Hydro Gear has a site also .
    As does Parker
    https://www.scag.com/OPManuals/STT/STTOPMANTOC.html
    https://www.hydro-gear.com/service-and-repair-manuals/
    http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...3075e210VgnVCM10000048021dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=EN

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Walker56 likes this.
  7. Kevin Schafer

8. Kevin Schafer

They want to replace both wheel Motors and both Hydro pumps due to all the shavings that they found kind of like they don't want to work on it even though I just spent 2780 bucks on a brand new motor last year typical dealer

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Pretty much.
    Ain't gonna find any OPE dlrs that rebuild/repair hydro drives.

properlandscaping and Walker56 like this.
  10. Kevin Schafer

Who's got the best deal on Wheel Motors and hydro pumps