Scag belt drive sulky???

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by hbrooks95, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hbrooks95

hbrooks95 LawnSite Member

I a Scag 36” belt drive walk behind that I’m looking to put a sulky on. I’m 180 lbs. what is the best one to use? Single wheel? Where is the best place to buy them?

63C4273D-8A7D-404D-9BCA-7F4365326462.jpeg

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I don't recommend it if you do a lot of cutting. You'll kill the transmission.

3. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Bronze Member

Velkie pulling 180 your fine..

4. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bradley mowers sells a bunch

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Platinum Member

A 2 wheel true velke from Wright MFG. Why? 2 wheels less drag and it's easier on the transmission. Why Wright? It's the only velke that I know of that is compact and does a full 180 when you step off and back the machine up. Others you will need to fold the assemble up or constantly steer it with the tip of your foot while backing up. You will need to buy a back up transmission and replace it every once in awhile. Shift only when stopped. The transmission is basically a wear item. They're only a few hundred bucks every couple of years if you mow a lot. The transmission can be replaced in 30 minutes or less if you have a few tools.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Really so 16 years on the same machine with a velke and no transmission problems?

Hundreds of competitor belt drives doing the Same thing for decades?
    Early riders using essentially the same transmission technology for decades before the hydro rider?

Who spreads all this false information to you guys?

Some over zealous salesmen trying to upsell you on hydro units no doubt

7. TPendagast

Male

There’s only one velke
    That’s Wright
    It’s a brand name
    Everything else is a sulky

I never replaced a single peerless transmission on any of the numerous machines I ran , before riders were a thing , everyone was using sulkies.
    But you’re right
    Don’t shift while moving ... that’s probably what everyone else is doing to break them

They are cheap tho (the transmissions)
    Think about the price to replace a wheel motor or transaxle v a peerless transmission

8. unkownfl

I think it has to do with the size of our lawns. Lots of tiny jobs and lots of shifting and turning. The longest pass here with a walk behind is probably 50ft. After making the permitter passes to allow for the turning with a velke it cuts it down to a 30ft pass. Average pass here is probably 20ft.

9. TPendagast

Male

Why use a sulky then?

And don’t bother shifting
    Pick a speed
    Feather the hand brakes as needed.

One of the main problems with mowing is the overall lack of formal training
    People just go out and do it and never learn how to do it
    The formulate opinions on equipment which is largely due to operator error.

10. unkownfl

Very true. Thats why there is multiple manufactures basically making the same unit. The lack of knowledge maybe why they're mowing in the first place? Nevertheless, to the OP, I wouldn't own a gear drive without a velke. I had an older Gravely with controls like a hydro. Not to be confused with ecs on an exmark. You actually engaged the belts by pushing the handles forward. It makes reverse awkward tho. Always seemed to leave that machine in 4th or 5th gear. On a pistol grip machine you will find 3rd gear being pretty friendly here in FL.