1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag belt driven or Gravely Hydro 36wb?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jun 27, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Was offered a deal for a 2006 slightly faded model Gravely 36 hydro including
    sulky. THe dealer said someone bought it and only used it a few days and it scared em cause they were used to a Z. I don't know how it could scare em but then again, I've never used a 36in wb. He's asking $3000, it would normally be about $4200. Should I go with that or go with Scag, belt driven 36wb w/ sulky for $3250 that would be brand new?

And if anyone can tell me how Gravely compares to scag. I see more people using Scag, but are they about the same or? And what about Ferris?

2. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

I have both and like the gravely more. You will be happy you took hydro over belt drive.

3. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

So now its between Scag, Gravely, Toro, or Quick 36? Did I miss anything else? Oh yeah and Ferris.

4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a lesco store near by? If so you should look at their mowers. I love mine.

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd get the Hydro your hands will love it,and better resale if you decide to sell.

6. green-pa

Well, I plan to look at the mowers and hopefully someone there will let me demo them so I can get a feel to see which I like better. I'm sure I'd like the hydro better, if it's as easy to use as folks are saying on here. But I'm a bit susupicious about the 2006 model and how the guy returned it cause he was "scared" of it. I'll just see for myself. I sure wish I had a buddy who's a vet lco who could come with me. This purchase, probably over 3 grand is really a major purchase for me, since I have so many other bills now.

So u guys think the Gravely is the better deal huh.

7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Just buy a damn mower for crying out loud!

8. green-pa

Ok, gimme the $ and I'll buy the first one I see ;)

9. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

Don't mind that guy....

His sister wasn't home tonight.....

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. You've been going on and on about buying a mower for quite a while now. You surely have obtained enough advice and info to make an informed decision...