Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a Scag belt drive wb for a year and a half. When I make a left hand turn, I need to jump off my Jungle Wheels and push it to get it going again. The tension wheel is applying the maximum pressure on the top of the belt when I let go of the grip. Could it be worn out already. My dealer said they would wear out faster with a sulky but I can't believe they only lasted a year and a half on mostly smaller (10-15 minutes) backyards.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hard to say, I don't have an hour meter on it. I would guess 150-175 or so. Thank you for your reply, looks like I'll be getting some belts this week.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Make sure you get OEM SCAG drive belts.

Also pick up two tensioning springs, springs DO go bad sometimes!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you replace the pulleys. There is no noticable wear and the paint is still there from the factory. Should I replace the springs with stronger ones for more grabbing power?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Don't know where Red Dwarf is coming from.
You do not HAVE to replace pulleys periodically, you replace them when they require being replaced. Same is true for the springs.
Hydro or belt drive, neither one is perfect and not ever break down. Advantages to both, ease of operation goes to Hydro, long term durability probably goes to Belt/Gear drive. At least not as expensive to replace Belts and/or tranny.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Trust me, the pulleys do wear

It's hard to see, but they actually get "smooth" and reduce in diameter

Don't worry about stronger springs. Most of your grip doesn't really come from the idler, it comes from the surface area on the drive pulleys, but they're cheap so replace em. They also break (seen several break in the last year) so it's cheap insurance

Also: make sure your engine to trasmission belt is tight. This belt can slip too

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
Don't know where Red Dwarf is coming from.
You do not HAVE to replace pulleys periodically, you replace them when they require being replaced. Same is true for the springs.
Man, I spend about 30 hours a week on a belt drive Scag. "...when they require being replaced" IS periodically!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dwarf
Man, I spend about 30 hours a week on a belt drive Scag. "...when they require being replaced" IS periodically!
Well Man, maybe yours do. All I can say on this is the fact that I've had no trouble, slippage, or problems that would require replacing the pulleys going on two full years usage. Maybe it's just my good luck or your bad. I know several have said replace them as a preventative measure, I say replace when you have to.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Originally posted by Rustic Goat
You do not HAVE to replace pulleys periodically, you replace them when they require being replaced
what?:confused:

the red dwarf (I swear I think I used to work with a guy described like that...) is correctomundo!

if all is set up properly and the belt life is short...don't throw those used belts away! they will have new life when you change the DRIVE PULLEYS. it's true! i have posted much about my experience with the pulley change.

GEO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.