• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Scag boys please help!

bart may

LawnSite Senior Member
I just bought a tiger cub yesterday. I've got the break in hours already and need to change the fluids. The hydro fluid calls for 20W50 motor oil. I told the mechanic I was going to use full synthetic and he said I can't. Is this right? I think he doens't have a clue. This is still a motor oil and a far superior one at that. Let me know if any of you are using this in your scag hydro systems. I'm using it in my Toros just fine. Thanks for your help:confused:

qwikv6

LawnSite Member
My Cub has about 9 hours on it and I just changed the engine oil and filter at the 5 hour breakin. I used a top quality filter and Mobil 1. have not changed the Hydro oil yet.

Shultz

LawnSite Member
the manual calls for petro based oil, not synthetic. Why spend the extra money? I've heard of people here using either, but I would use the regular oil.

jt5019

LawnSite Bronze Member
My dealer said scag was very strict about what fluids you put in them and it could effect the warranty.He said just go with whats recommended in the manual.

rob1325

LawnSite Senior Member
I use regular oil. I change oil and filter at the end off every year. I have machines that are eight years old and on there third engine with no problems with hydros. I guess sythetic won't cause any problems, Exmark uses it in there machines and they have the same pumps on there ZTR as the Cubs. But was told once you use sythethic, you can't go back to regular oil, don't knowe if that is true or no though.

grass_cuttin_fool

LawnSite Gold Member
I just purchased a tiger cub this week, my dealer said to change to synthetic after the 1st change on the hydro if I wanted to, it would help to run cooler. He said also there was no breaj in change on the hydro system just change after 1 year or 500 hours

Randy J

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by jt5019
My dealer said scag was very strict about what fluids you put in them and it could effect the warranty.He said just go with whats recommended in the manual.
They may try to, but they can't void the warranty as long as you use a oil that meets their specs. And, if the oil is proven to cause the failure, I know Amsoil will warranty it, not sure about Mobil.

It's a matter of preference. I don't think you'll have any problems if you use conventional oil, and you'll probably be rid of the mower before anything wears out, as long as you service it regularly. But synthetics will help it run cooler, wear less, and extend the life. And you can typically extend your change intervals, meaning less maintenance costs. To me it's worth the extra cost of putting in synthetics.

Randy

J.Gordon

LawnSite Senior Member
What Odin and Randy J said! I prefer the Syn's myself. If the dealer said it could void your warranty then he is not very knowledgeable.