Scag cheetah 31efi carbon canister leaking

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gfwjr2, Nov 26, 2018.

1. gfwjr2

gfwjr2 LawnSite Member

Good evening
    I have a less than one year old cheetah, efi and when I change blades and scrape deck I raise front casters 12 to 18 in off the ground d and slide under and do work. I was doing the winter maintenance and got up to change sides and noticed the left carbon canister was leaking fuel. Would this be a warranty issue? Has anyone else had this issue? I assume it isn't supposed to leak fuel when at such a slight angle? Also after sitting all day level the canister is still wet looking. As if fuel is still seeping out of the top.

Thank you.

2. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

I am sure Walker or one of the sites top mechanic guys will be along shortly...

But as i was told with my turf tiger 2, they warned me to make sure i didnt over fill the gas tank. Fill it to the bottom of the spout at most, no more. Doing so can cause gasoline to get into the canister and cause issues.

I am not sure, but i don't know that it is covered under warranty since liquid gas shouldn't get in there by design.

AlohaMowing, sjessen and gfwjr2 like this.
  3. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

Eric502 is spot on. Charcoal canisters are for vapor only. Overfilling a tank can saturate them. The same can happen by changing the angle of the tank if the level is high. Here is a link to the service manual. Page 27 discusses the canister and how it routes gasoline vapors. If your tank was overfull and that is how the raw gas saturated the canister, then that would not be a warranty item.
    http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/19_690_01_EN.pdf
    Here is a link to the engine owners manual. Page 6 states “do not overfill fuel tanks”
    http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/19_590_01_EN.pdf

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    AlohaMowing, gfwjr2 and sjessen like this.
  4. weeze

weeze Banned

don't worry it doesn't hurt anything. i've done it several times on my cheetah over the years. if you have full tanks and have the front end raised it can leak gas into and out of the bottom of the canisters. i try to make it a point to not take the blades off or anything when the tanks are full. i don't always remember though. :laugh:

gfwjr2 likes this.
  5. Cale Ledford

Cale Ledford LawnSite Member

What is the proper maintenance of carbon canister? Ours has fuel in it as it leaks out of the top. Does the top lid of carbon canister actually screw on and tighten or can you just pop it off empty the canister and reinstall it?

6. Anthony Divit

Anthony Divit LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I have the same machine and when I fill the tank almost to the top it does that.