Scag Cheetah 36BigBlock vs Ferris 30Commercial Turf or SImplicity Cobalt

chemosav

LawnSite Member
I live on an island with 4 acres and trying to decide between Scag Cheetah with 36 Big Block or Ferris with 30 hp B&S Commercial Turf (cyclonic air filter) or other Ferris or Simplicity Cobalt. Concerns are bumpy lawn, bad back, isolated location (fix it my self if it breaks). Not sure about the B&S engine. Looks like ELS with fancy air filter. Told by independent dealer the Cobalt is made with thinner steel and other lighter gauge components. Leaning towards the Scag and run the engine slower (36hp).

Thanks

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
Both Cheetah and ferris have nice rides. If it was me I would go with scag because we have always had great luck with them. Fairly bullet proof mowers. Spindles are great, mowers are built like tanks. I don't like briggs myself but I hear that the vanguards are very good, which is what I assume the 36 big block is? or is that a kawi? I would stay away from simplicity. Which ferris were you looking at 2000 or 3000?

OP
C

chemosav

LawnSite Member
I was looking at the 2000Z's. Tried to get one with a 30hp big block but dealer ordered the "Professional Series" instead with the "cyclonic air filter" . Briggs way of using their motor instead of a big block or kawa. New engine with no reviews so very nervous about buying it. Other quotes on 2000Z with 32hp Big Block come to about the same as the Scag but I think the Scag may be built a bit better. The Scag has 24" tires and is around 200 lbs heavier. Where's the weight going? Thicker steel I think.

Leaning towards the Scag.

IS500Z

LawnSite Member
The BIG BLOCK would be a Briggs Vanguard. I believe it is a trademarked term. The Commercial Series are, AFAIK, what use to be called the ELS or Pro with a new air filter system. So he is comparing Briggs engines on both mowers.

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
I didn't realize that big block was a name only used by briggs. In any event I have read a lot about the briggs vanguard and people seem to have good luck with them. Pretty sure they are japenese made by daihatsu.

Between the ferris and the scag I would go with the better engine option as long as prices were comparable, I would lean toward which dealer was closer/better in case anything major were to go and you had to go the warranty route.

ashgrove landscaping

LawnSite Gold Member
Well first off the cheetah is in a different class that is comparable with the ferris 3100 not the 2000. The 2000 is a mid size machine that would compare to scag's tiger cat not the cheetah. So any difference you are noticing is mute. Try the 3100 for a real shootout. If your concerns are a bad back and bumpy lawn then the ferris will shine. The 32hp briggs vanguard is the best engine I have run/owned. Tons of power, quieter, trouble free. I just bought another vanguard for my 2000Z to replace the kawasaki to match my 3100. I'm sure the cheetah is a great machine but you just can not beat the ride of the ferris, the power of vanguard and now with the ICD deck , the cut is great as well. Perfect combo in my book. Good luck

OP
C

chemosav

LawnSite Member
For me to get the 3100Z with a 32 hp Bog Block Vanguard I have to pay over 13,000. (tax included @ 8.6%) I could get a 331ZD Kubota with a very sweet sounding diesel for 14,500.

Agreed the ride must be awful nice but the $$$ are pretty rough.

The Scag Cheetah with 36 hp vanguard is 11,300. The Ferris 2000Z with Briggs els (Psycho air filter) is 10,000.

nepatsfan

LawnSite Gold Member
Well first off the cheetah is in a different class that is comparable with the ferris 3100 not the 2000. The 2000 is a mid size machine that would compare to scag's tiger cat not the cheetah. So any difference you are noticing is mute. Try the 3100 for a real shootout. If your concerns are a bad back and bumpy lawn then the ferris will shine. The 32hp briggs vanguard is the best engine I have run/owned. Tons of power, quieter, trouble free. I just bought another vanguard for my 2000Z to replace the kawasaki to match my 3100. I'm sure the cheetah is a great machine but you just can not beat the ride of the ferris, the power of vanguard and now with the ICD deck , the cut is great as well. Perfect combo in my book. Good luck
Have you ever taken a cheetah for a spin? That has a pretty comfortable ride too. No question the ferris has a nice ride but they both do in my opinion

ashgrove landscaping

LawnSite Gold Member
No I haven't. No dealer will demo one for some reason. I ve just seen videos where the gut is still getting bounced around like a rigid mower although less. It seems like it s just a glorified suspension seat, which it is. It's the independent wheel suspension that's the key. I intend on trying one this spring to have a better understanding. You can't really beat a scag either. 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

ashgrove landscaping

LawnSite Gold Member
For me to get the 3100Z with a 32 hp Bog Block Vanguard I have to pay over 13,000. (tax included @ 8.6%) I could get a 331ZD Kubota with a very sweet sounding diesel for 14,500.

Agreed the ride must be awful nice but the $$$ are pretty rough.

The Scag Cheetah with 36 hp vanguard is 11,300. The Ferris 2000Z with Briggs els (Psycho air filter) is 10,000.
That's has to be a misprint. I got mine for $10000 straight up brand new. Ebay all day for from SLE $9500 shipped. Give them a call. They have to list the retail price due to manufacturer guidelines but call for the real price. I have and that's the price I was quoted, no tax either.