Scag Cheetah

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Gunnyhwy11, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Gunnyhwy11

Gunnyhwy11 LawnSite Member

Purchased Scag Cheetah 61" with fx850v kawasaki.
    Mowed residential smooth lawn twice now. Both times i noticed an obvious bog/struggle in heavier grass (5" fescue) and while mowing at slow speeds up a slight incline. Also have a Ferris IS 700z 61" 27hp Briggs Cyclone that never hesitates no matter what. I have 2.2 hours on this $11,000 mower.
    Today I switched blades and put on my Ferris blades (Oregon). Made a complete difference. Has anyone heard about something like this before. The blades look straight and true

Cam15 likes this.
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Check engine rpm's to be sure they are at 3600 with blades engaged +/- 50 rpms.

Cam15 and Ridin' Green like this.
  3. weeze

weeze Banned

pretty normal. the cheetah requires a lot of power to run those 5400 hydro transaxles so it can sometimes struggle in heavier,thicker, wetter growth and hills unless you go with the biggest engine like a 37hp vanguard efi.

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Gunnyhwy11

Like i said. Residential, dry, fine fescue, maybe 4.5 to 5 inches. The original, new blades were swapped out with my Ferris Oregon blades and no problems. Maybe bad blades??

5. weeze

weeze Banned

i think the blades made by oregon are the same for scag and ferris. i'm not sure why they would be any different. it's the same sized blades.

the stock scag blades are heavier(thicker) metal. i wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference though to be that noticeable.

6. OP
    OP
    Gunnyhwy11

Real obvious, night and day. I was surprised as well. Now the Scag will eat up anything, no hesitation/bog. There has to be a tweak/defect in this set. Anyway the dealer wants me to bring them in for new ones

7. weeze

weeze Banned

i used the set that came on mine but switched to oregon G6 blades ever since. no way i'm paying $70 for a set of scag blades. they can kiss my rear end. $50 oregon blades cost too much as it is.

8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a walkbehind new and had to change the stock blades out for a similar issue. They looked like wavy lawn tractor blades

weeze likes this.
  9. Tn Turf

Tn Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I buy XHT marbain blades on ebay in bulk for like $28 per set. They fit all my Scag mowers; Cheetah, Tiger Cat II and Turf Tiger 2

flybynite likes this.
  10. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

My last Cheetah I bought came with medium lift blades. Salesman said that was what Scag was recommending (no idea if that is actually true or not). The cut was noticeably subpar. I switched to hi lifts and my stripes and lines were crisp and clean .