Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my scag 2 months now. I had a little toro resi mower, and i miss it!!
I have a 48 tiger cub, and it scalps, uneven cuts with no concitency, tears up grass doing k turns or any turn. doesnt leave a nice clean cut like my little toro did.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tires are good blades are new and right side up, i was almost thinkg the anti-scalping wheels were to small

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to take it to the Scag dealer, this week. Just to see.
And maybe due to the size and weight it just doesnt agree with St. Aug!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 48" cub that cuts great, I would check your tire pressure. I run mine at 10psi. If its scalps, lower your scalp wheels and lift the deck when you go over uneven ground.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Im going to take it to the Scag dealer, this week. Just to see.
And maybe due to the size and weight it just doesnt agree with St. Aug!
check to see if the height adjustment on the blade deck is the correct measurement. put the mower on a level surface, put the pin in the 5 inch hole and lower the deck. take a tape measure and measure from the ground and to the blade tip an see if it is 5 inches....i did that to mine and was off 3/4 inch and had to adjust it after checking air pressure in tires. tires do wear so i guess you will lose some inches. i noticed when cutting st. augustine grass, i set my deck at 5 inches cuz i think the tires sink alittle while mowing so actually i'm probably cutting at 4.5 or so. i have the turf tiger so its heavier then the cub. just an idea.:dancing:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Set the tire pressure. Check the deck height at each blade tip side to side, this should be the same across the deck. Then check the front and back tip height, you want about a 1/4 inch pitch. If you haven't done that you shouldn't be complaining because that would be the first thing to check out (besides spindle bearings, bent blades, blades on right).

·
Registered
42 Posts
the scags cut good around here. as has been said, make sure your blades have a good edge, are not bent, are right side up, make sure spindle bearings have no play.

See if your deck has the turbo baffle. It will help clipping dispersal if it doesn't have this.

Where is your deck baffle set at?

How is tire pressure? Deck pitch?

How is your deck belt? If it is stretched badly, you will not get your peak blade tip speed at all.

If you don't want to mess with all this stuff, take it in to your Scag dealer and have them set it all up perfect.

I'm just shooting from the hip here, but depending on the hours of your machine, you may need steering dampeners. This could be part of your turf tearing problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I run my scags at 12 PSI... I gotta put a striper kit on it but other than that it runs like a champ. I would make sure the blades are on right. when i bought mine the dealer put them on upside down... what a mess

·
Registered
11 Posts
I Love My Scags. I Have Five Crews And Thats All They Run. But The Guys Has Been Doing It For Less Than A Year And Went From A Small Push Behind (maybe Self Propelled) To A Very Advanced Peice Of Equipment. But This Guy All He Said That "my Scag Cuts Like Crap", Did He Ever Look In The Mirror For Blame And Say What Am I Doing Wrong?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry Man... I Dont Mean To Knock You. But I've Noticed That There Are Alot Of Guys Out There That Buy A Lawn Mower And All Of A Sudden They're Landscapers! My Company Was Started By Father And He Didn't Let Me Do Anything On My Own Until He Was Satisfied Enough To Let Me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.