Scag Designer Listen Up

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
It is time for Scag to address that bolt breaking problem on the brake bands. I have got the hardest bolt I can buy and it still breaks. One of these days I wouldn't be able to back those treads out after it breaks then I'll really be mad. The pictures are alittle hard but first one shows band hanging bolt after the broke broke. Second picture is of the bolt. l And third picture show it with a new bolt ready to roll.

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Ed do you strap your mowers? After about 2 bolts breaking I started strasping down stuff with faststraps and 3 yrs later I have not had a bolt break. The other thing I did was adjust the brake lever it so it was not super tight but did the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Have never broke one on none of mine. The new ones I think are disc type. I have noticed on mine when in some situations the brake handle coming up like a ghost is putting it on half way. Matter of fact aint never adjusted them either. I know they work because if I dont clamp them down or put the brake on they run around on the trailer. Always take the wheels off maybe once every two weeks to clean and grease them.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
Ed do you strap your mowers? After about 2 bolts breaking I started strasping down stuff with faststraps and 3 yrs later I have not had a bolt break. The other thing I did was adjust the brake lever it so it was not super tight but did the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't use strap down I rather shoot myself in foot first. But I need to go back and see about backing the adjustment off a little. Funny that I see no wear on my brake shoes eh?

P.Services

LawnSite Fanatic
I COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am SO SICK of replacing these, it just drives me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
I don't use strap down I rather shoot myself in foot first. But I need to go back and see about backing the adjustment off a little. Funny that I see no wear on my brake shoes eh?
Well without straps you will keep braking them. I guess you could try to use some 2x4 chocks so the mower does not rock as much on the trailer. You have 1350lbs trying to move on each start and stop. Add dynamic loads now its a lot more then that depending on speeds. All that weight is spread over the brake lining after the lining. After you have more weight then the lining can handle it transfer to the bolt.

The lining I don't think should wear. They don't drag when moving and you put the brake on when your stopped.
Posted via Mobile Device

supercuts

LawnSite Silver Member
not strapping them is real world usage. designers should know and plan accordingly. thats like building a car that can drive fast but not go over bumps. its understood at some point the car will hit a bump. my old scag snapped several bolts, my new 2011 has not. i never strap them down.
never understood the strapping down thing. at one minute to strap them down, and one to unstrap, thats adding an hour a day to each day. at that number up over the year.....

khutch

LawnSite Senior Member
I hear you brother. My next truck is not going to have doors....Open and close, open and close. Talk about adding hours to the day!

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
I thought it was mandatory to strap down your load? Mndot pulled over a fellow lco on a regular street. I believe it was 250. He had around 800 in fines on his 6x12 open trailer and truck.
Posted via Mobile Device