Scag fans?

CJIII1983

LawnSite Senior Member
Got a question for you Scag fans out there I have an Exmark Lazer Z 48'' E Series it's a decent cutting machine but I am always wondering does Scag cuts better with their Velocity Plus cutting deck sometimes I have to double cut with my Exmark on weedy yards.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Your deck front lip and/or front wheels knock down tall stalky weeds and your deck goes past them before they can stand back up. It happens with all decks that I've ever used and seen used.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Your deck front lip and/or front wheels knock down tall stalky weeds and your deck goes past them before they can stand back up. It happens with all decks that I've ever used and seen used.

I understand what you’re saying, with all due respect, I partially disagree that it happens with all decks and mowers.

Even though the front wheels knock down tall stalky weeds, it you slow down and give the vortex of air under deck time to lift the weeds and grass it will reduce the problem.

Also, sharp blades are critical to help eliminate this problem.

In certain conditions you can be doing everything right and still have this problem and have to double cut.

If weeds are extremely tall and large in diameter and the front wheels break weeds off close to ground, then it would be almost impossible for them to be cut as normal.

Driving to fast, dull blades, raising deck to high, wrong type of blades for conditions, all add to this problem.

There are lots of videos on YouTube where people are trying to cut overgrown properties and the operators seem to be lacking in the area of common sense.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
I understand what you’re saying, with all due respect, I partially disagree that it happens with all decks and mowers.

Even though the front wheels knock down tall stalky weeds, it you slow down and give the vortex of air under deck time to lift the weeds and grass it will reduce the problem.

Also, sharp blades are critical to help eliminate this problem.

In certain conditions you can be doing everything right and still have this problem and have to double cut.

If weeds are extremely tall and large in diameter and the front wheels break weeds off close to ground, then it would be almost impossible for them to be cut as normal.

Driving to fast, dull blades, raising deck to high, wrong type of blades for conditions, all add to this problem.

There are lots of videos on YouTube where people are trying to cut overgrown properties and the operators seem to be lacking in the area of common sense.
No disagreement here.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I've got a new Tiger Cat 2. I've started trying a combination of blades. Currently has 2 high lifts, and a Gator on the discharge position. Grass has been real dry on this 10hr cycle until yesterday. It seemed to disperse smaller clippings. Today, I'm going to swap them with the opposite. 2 gators and a high lift in discharge position.

SouthEastTurf

LawnSite Member
I've got a new Tiger Cat 2. I've started trying a combination of blades. Currently has 2 high lifts, and a Gator on the discharge position. Grass has been real dry on this 10hr cycle until yesterday. It seemed to disperse smaller clippings. Today, I'm going to swap them with the opposite. 2 gators and a high lift in discharge position.
How that work out for you?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
How that work out for you?
It didn't do bad. We had a dry run, and I ran these for 10hrs. Then switched to 3 gators and am finishing 2 cycles with them. We've gotten rain again and things have been green for a few weeks, and the 3 gators have done just as good for me. I don't mow wet grass or morning dew, so I've had little issues of clumping.

Top Forums