Scag / Gravely need advice

rayclark

LawnSite Member
I'm looking at buying a zero mower. For whatever reason they seem to be hard to come by lately. I have narrowed my choice down to 2...Scag Tiger Cat 2 or a Gravely Pro-turn zx. I think both dealers are giving me a decent price but I wanted to get some input on these. Both mowers are the 52" deck. The gravely has the Kawaski FX motor and the Scag has the Kohler. The Gravely is last years model while the Scag is a 21 model. The Gravely does come with the upgraded suspension seat. The cost on the Gravely out the door is $7500 the Scag out the door is $1900 more. My big question is ..... Is the Scag worth the extra $1900 ? I've had good experiences with Kawaski motors but never had a Kohler. Is that of any concern or are they reliable motors too?

Thank you in advance for any advice and input

RC

ProStreetCamaro

LawnSite Platinum Member
It's has the 25hp Command Pro -efi
Heck yeah great engine. Sips fuel. Had that (when the same engine was labeled as 29hp) on our first 61" tiger cat. Under powered on the 61 but should be great on the 52". Our current 61 has the big Kohler 29 efi and my own personal TC2 I bought in the spring for my 2 acre lawn has the 32hp Briggs. That thing drinks fuel like it's going out of style but boy does it make some serious power.

Mark Hamill

LawnSite Member
Haven't cut grass in 10 years but I've had Cub cadets, gravely, exmark, grasshopper, Hustler, John Deere. By far Scag was worth the money. Exmark close 2nd. Check the the size difference of the hydraulic motors. The thickness of the decks. The height of the decks. Also idler pulley's some of the above mention commercial mowers had plastic idler pulleys. At one time I was running 10 mowers from 36 in to 72 in. Idler pulleys, pulleys, ignition switch, clutch, wheel motors, hydraulic pumps, clutch switches, and wheel bearings would all fit each other. $5,000 worth of parts in the shop and I could keep anything going. Just my observation but everybody has their favorite mower. It was nothing to get 4,000 hours out of a mower. Not saying I didn't have to put new a motor on it. But never had to get rid of a mower because the frame or deck was falling to pieces. And for my personal 3/4 acre yard I purchased new in 2020 a 61-in v-ride. 54 now hope I live to be 101 and that mower I will be able to leave to my kids

OP
R

rayclark

LawnSite Member
Thank you all for the input… definitely helps making my decision. Originally wasn’t planning spending quite that much but I really do like the Scag and it appears from the comments that it’s worth the difference.

Top Forums