Scag / Gravely need advice

ProStreetCamaro

LawnSite Platinum Member
Thank you all for the input… definitely helps making my decision. Originally wasn’t planning spending quite that much but I really do like the Scag and it appears from the comments that it’s worth the difference.
The only thing worth the difference is the deck. Don't get me wrong the machine's themselves are built well. But so are many machines these days. Gravely builds a great machine. We used them for many years. The deck though! That's where it's at.

OP
R

rayclark

LawnSite Member
Well I decided to get the Tiger Cat 2 with the Kohler efi motor. I think the dealer gave me a good deal on a last year model. ( He just uncrated it last week.) My only reservations were that according to the serial number it appears to be a late 2019 but I felt it was hard to pass up for $7400 out the door with a $500 trade in value for my old mower. ( I don't think I would have gotten more than that selling it myself, used riding mowers just don't go for much around here)

Attachments

• IMG_3297.jpeg
    IMG_3297.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 51

ProStreetCamaro

LawnSite Platinum Member
Well I decided to get the Tiger Cat 2 with the Kohler efi motor. I think the dealer gave me a good deal on a last year model. ( He just uncrated it last week.) My only reservations were that according to the serial number it appears to be a late 2019 but I felt it was hard to pass up for $7400 out the door with a $500 trade in value for my old mower. ( I don't think I would have gotten more than that selling it myself, used riding mowers just don't go for much around here)
Check the pto switch. If it has metal flat blades on the bottom you'll need to get the updated switch with adaptor to keep on hand. That switch will fall rapidly. Likely with in the first 100 hours give or take.

Last edited:

JohnD2

LawnSite Member
They gave you a very good deal , congrats on the new mower.

OP
R

rayclark

LawnSite Member
Check the pto switch. If it has metal flat blades on the bottom you'll need to get the updated switch with adaptor to keep on hand. That switch will fall rapidly. Likely with in the first 100 hours give or take.
Lol....kind of funny you mention this. The switch was actually bad right from the get go. I believe it already had the newer style switch on it as it looked like the one in the attached picture. I do think I'll get one to keep on hand cause I fund out when they don't work you can't even start the engine cause of the safety. Seems like it could be bypassed but I'm not exactly sure how.

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 45

ProStreetCamaro

LawnSite Platinum Member
Lol....kind of funny you mention this. The switch was actually bad right from the get go. I believe it already had the newer style switch on it as it looked like the one in the attached picture. I do think I'll get one to keep on hand cause I fund out when they don't work you can't even start the engine cause of the safety. Seems like it could be bypassed but I'm not exactly sure how.
Your updated one was bad already as well? Apparently the new version isn't any better than the old one. I have a new one arriving today. I can click the key multiple times and it'll finally turn over and start.

Prestigious1

LawnSite Member
To the best of my understanding, the 2019 Scag Tiger Cat 2 had either the all tan seat for the early models and then went to the 2 tone black & tan WITHOUT the orange in between later in the run. The 2020 & 21's have the Black, tan and orange seats. So it appears your unit is at least a 2020. And congrats!

The don

LawnSite Member
Any concerns with the Kohler motor?
With my experiences with both engines I think the kohler is just a little bit better. I run a Kohler command pro on my exmark and it feels like they have a little more torque than the Kawasakis do. Kind of the same way a Tecumseh does over a Briggs & Stratton. As far as the gravely goes I've only owned some of the earlier models so I really can't give any helpful advice on the new ones but a lot of the gentlemen here have given you some pretty good advice which mowers.

OP
R

rayclark

LawnSite Member
With my experiences with both engines I think the kohler is just a little bit better. I run a Kohler command pro on my exmark and it feels like they have a little more torque than the Kawasakis do. Kind of the same way a Tecumseh does over a Briggs & Stratton. As far as the gravely goes I've only owned some of the earlier models so I really can't give any helpful advice on the new ones but a lot of the gentlemen here have given you some pretty good advice which mowers.
Thank you for the reply. Appreciate the input. I did make a purchase of the Scag TC2 with the Kohler motor. The little bit that I have used it, it appears to have plenty of power. One of the first things I used it on was some pretty thick grass on a trail I put in through my property. Handled it with no issues.

Top Forums