Scag, Gravely, or GrassHopper ..Help me decide

rayclark

LawnSite Member
I'm looking at buying a new zero turn mower to maintain my property of about 4 acres. I do not do commercial mowing but I want to buy a commercial mower, as some of the areas I mow are a little rough and I want something that will last. There is a Scag, Gravely and a Grasshopper dealer all within 45 minutes from me. I'm trying to decide between a Tiger Cat 2, Gravely Pro Turn 152 or the ZX52, and the Grasshopper 226V. I have decided that I will either get one with the Van Guard or the Kawaski motor. I'm having trouble deciding which mower to go with though. I was quoted the following prices: Tiger Cat - $9100 , Pro-Turn 152 - $8700 - ZX52 - $7600 and the Grasshopper -$7600. Ultimately I would like to be around the $8000 mark but I am will to go higher if the machine is that much better and worth the extra cost. Any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

RC

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Grasshopper is going under so who knows how long parts availability will go. I just got a 52" Tiger Cat 2 with the 26hp Kawa EFI. Got about 85 hours on it so far this year. Love it.

OP
R

rayclark

LawnSite Member
Grasshopper is going under so who knows how long parts availability will go. I just got a 52" Tiger Cat 2 with the 26hp Kawa EFI. Got about 85 hours on it so far this year. Love it.
Did not know that about Grasshopper. That will definitely help in my decision. I really like what I'm reading about the Tiger Cat but I've found decent reviews on the Pro-Turns also. I'm struggling with knowing if the Scag is worth the extra cost. I'm not 100% sure but I think that's an ok price on the Scag. Trying to locate another dealer near me to get a price comparison. There are 2 Gravely dealers fairly close to me and one is more willing to give a better cost.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
For personal use, you'd probably be fine with the gravely. My church has a proturn 152 I believe and I haven't heard any complaints. I went with Scag for ability to perform the best in thick wet spring grass. Personal mowing I never do with wet grass.

fitph

LawnSite Senior Member
why would you say grasshopper is going under? I see on evidence of that.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
why would you say grasshopper is going under? I see on evidence of that.
Unless I'm mistaken, I've seen numerous posts here previously saying they were and parts availability may be a problem. It's been a while, so maybe I'm speaking on the wrong brand.

OP
R

rayclark

LawnSite Member
Well I decided to get the Tiger Cat 2. I think the dealer gave me a good deal on a last year model. ( He just uncrated it last week.) My only reservations were that it had the Kohler motor but I felt it was hard to pass up for $7400 out the door with a $500 trade in value for my old mower. ( I don't think I would have gotten more than that selling it myself, used riding mowers just don't go for much around here)

fitph

LawnSite Senior Member
Unless I'm mistaken, I've seen numerous posts here previously saying they were and parts availability may be a problem. It's been a while, so maybe I'm speaking on the wrong brand.
I think you were mistaken. Briggs went bankrupt but they are still here, they own Ferris and Snapper. Maybe that is what you are thinking of

Top Forums