1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

scag hydro or wheel motor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 4458chas, Jul 12, 2007.

1. 4458chas

4458chas LawnSite Member

How do u know which one is going bad? The wheel motor or the hydro.
    I think it is the hydro because there is a small amount of leakage in the hydro and in cold temps it has to warm up before it will go. I also it feels like it is slipping gears when it goes up hills, this is only on one side, it is a scag rider
    tiger cub.
    thanks
    chas

2. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Has the filter been changed? If not, I would start with replacing it. It might be worth cutting it open and seeing if there is any debris inside of it. If nothing is found I would do a system pressure test. This will tell you if the pump is putting out enough to drive the motor. If it checks out then chances are you have a bad motor.

Best of luck on the problem,

Eric D

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. 4458chas

4458chas LawnSite Member

That is perfect, thank you for the help. this seems to be a great site hope I can help somebody out.
    Thank you chas

5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

If it growls or chatters under load then it may be your wheel motors. I had 2 go out both of them started making a chattering sound that got worse the more load I put on it. Hope you figure it out. I could hear it coming from the wheel motor. If you can take a rubber hose and touch it to the pump and listen to it as you put a load on it, then listen to the wheel motors might be able to find it that way.