1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag/kawasaki problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nbuzz, Oct 28, 2007.

1. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

I just picked up a used wb. And I have a few questions, if you'll bear with me.

first I have oil in the carb. just changed the oil. at the correct level. what is the problem? the engine is the FB460.
    I don't think it is the head gasket because its not using oil.

my second question is just precautionary b/c all my other mowers have manual blade engagement. the clutch is covered in dirt, grass you name it. how can i clean it safely? and how can I prolong the life of it?

third is it normal to have grease come out the side of the blade spindles? it did this when i was greasing them obviously, but i thought i might've broken a seal or something.
    thanks for any response in advance, buzz

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

1) What weight oil did you put in ? Multi-weight oil could enter through the breather system more than single weight or it could have a bad breather reed.

2) Just hose it off with water then dry it with your blower then start the unit and engage the deck a couple times.

Also if your clutch is adjustable do so;

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1463590&postcount=2

3) Some deck spindles have weep holes in the side so one doesn't blow any seals out while greasing.

3. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

thanks for the info. I put straight 30 weight oil in it. which is on the sticker on the side of the mower. so what do you think could be the problem? I have never seen that happen before. whenever you shut it off, i can watch oil shoot into the carb.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Could possibly be a problem with the breather reed;

[​IMG]

5. nbuzz

nbuzz LawnSite Member

thanks rob. it turns out it was the breather sys. it was a pain it the @#$ trying to get to it. but now its running top notch, after i got the carb adjusted again. but thanks again. I really apppreciate it.