• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Scag or Deere

Freiberger

LawnSite Member
So I mow approximately 2.5 acres of grass about once a week because of my schedule with a 48” Freedom Z. I try to bag it bc I hate getting grass in my pool and tracking the clippings to the house. The only problem I’m really running into is that the non blower bagging system isn’t suitable for my schedule. I either have to mow at a snails pace or cut it then go over it again with the bagger attached. My question(s) for some of the pros out there is this:
-Should I get a Patriot with the vac bagger?
-A z700 series with the power flow
- or get a TCII without a baggerand just mulch kit it.

I’m fairly educated on the pros and cons of the models but just looking to see what is best for my buck for what I’m looking for. Thanks

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Please clarify? Ur bagging the entire area? When we mow around pools we always blow away from the pool. For several strips. By the time ur on ur 4 strip the grass has also blown way out. Away from the pool. In some situations. It’s just easy to push mow a few strips and then use the mowers to mow again pushing the clippings away from the pool. Hope this helps. If ur having a major clipping issue like tracking or clumping on ur shoes ur cutting to low. Been mowing for a long time. Even my own house I use my walk behind. And trim edge right after. Rarely have I tracked into the house.

OP
F

Freiberger

LawnSite Member
Please clarify? Ur bagging the entire area? When we mow around pools we always blow away from the pool. For several strips. By the time ur on ur 4 strip the grass has also blown way out. Away from the pool. In some situations. It’s just easy to push mow a few strips and then use the mowers to mow again pushing the clippings away from the pool. Hope this helps. If ur having a major clipping issue like tracking or clumping on ur shoes ur cutting to low. Been mowing for a long time. Even my own house I use my walk behind. And trim edge right after. Rarely have I tracked into the house.
Yes I’m bagging the whole yard. I find it easier to do that rather than take the bagger on and off. since I only mow once a week and at travel height (4.5) I throw a lot of clippings and I feel like it leaves a mess. So my pool area has a white vinyl fence around it and once a week mowing leaves a mess. Granted I’m not mulching it but that’s where I’m at and why I’d rather bag. If that makes any sense.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes I’m bagging the whole yard. I find it easier to do that rather than take the bagger on and off. since I only mow once a week and at travel height (4.5) I throw a lot of clippings and I feel like it leaves a mess. So my pool area has a white vinyl fence around it and once a week mowing leaves a mess. Granted I’m not mulching it but that’s where I’m at and why I’d rather bag. If that makes any sense.
It it not possible to push mow around the pool? Just reaching here for ya. They sure don’t make it easy on ya with pools!

OP
F

Freiberger

LawnSite Member
It it not possible to push mow around the pool? Just reaching here for ya. They sure don’t make it easy on ya with pools!
Yeah it is. I have a 22” toro but what a pain in the arse. I’m thinking after these comments it will help me ditch the bagger

Hollerstiltner

LawnSite Member
I don’t mow professionally, but like you I have some areas I’m trying to keep clean. I’m considering an OCDC for my Deere. That way I can mulch where needed and then discharge when I’m out in the open.

This is the one I’m considering.

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I don’t mow professionally, but like you I have some areas I’m trying to keep clean. I’m considering an OCDC for my Deere. That way I can mulch where needed and then discharge when I’m out in the open.

This is the one I’m considering.
I like the chute blocker, I have the advanced Shute system. Came on my used machine. Would I buy one if my mower didn’t have it after using it, yes. It is no replacement for a true mulch kit though. It ends up leaving a strip of clippings and other debris on the discharging side. For my professional purposes it’s often necessary to mow again to distribute those clippings. It’s great for like on demand mulching and not throwing clippings at anything. But don’t think it’s a replacement for a mulching Kit.

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
I find it hard to believe that bagging your 2.5 acre yard is easier than the alternative. How many empties does that require? I have a 3 acre yard, I mow it with a 60" mower. I can't imagine trying to bag it. I have a qwikchute chute blocker that prevents me from blowing grass everywhere including into my pool or against my buildings or vehicles.