Scag runs 2 minutes and cuts off

OP
E

echo8287

LawnSite Member
I changed the fuel filter with some off eBay. I noticed some people said that Kohler's are picky about the filter so now I have ordered some Kohler filters and a new fuel pump. When I get them I'll post if that made any difference.

OP
E

echo8287

LawnSite Member
Problem solved> this was an odd one. I took the aftermarket fuel filter off to change it to a new Kohler one and noticed that the inlet pipe was almost flattened. I thought the fuel pump must have pulled a vacuum on the cheap filter and collapsed it somehow. I decided to put some air from a compressor into the gas line before the fuel pump. When I did this it was not blowing air into the fuel tank and when I let go of the hose, gas blew back out the hose at the fuel pump. So I decided to change the whole gas line. When I took off the line at the tank outlet it had a little square metal ball valve a couple of inches from the tank. I installed the new gas line, the kohler filter, and a new cutoff from Napa. I tore the old gas line off the cutoff and noticed that the metal ball in the cutoff was very loose and worked super easy. What was happening is the ball was rotating closed with the engine vibrating and when the fuel pump would start to suck fuel. It would be enough to make it run for 45 seconds or so and then it was sucked closed by the fuel pump stopping the engine .With the new gas line, cutoff, and Kohler filter on it started up kept running, Going to cut some tall grass tomorrow. Hope this possibly helps someone else, Thanks to all that replied I do appreciate it!!!

Top Forums