Scag SFC 30 inch youtube reviews

Capt J-rod

LawnSite Member
I am tempted to try it, but I run the plastic Honda with a hydrostatic trans... Honda power is the best IMO, and the weight allows me to fold down the bars, throw it in my little truck with a topper, and leave the trailer home for my smaller yards. It would be badass once it gets to the site, but man I love the simplicity of throwing a push mower in the bed and going. Space is tight on two of my properties and the trailer is a pain. Not a big Kohler fan either... If it was a Honda engine I might try it.

nclawnsrus

LawnSite Member
I am tempted to try it, but I run the plastic Honda with a hydrostatic trans... Honda power is the best IMO, and the weight allows me to fold down the bars, throw it in my little truck with a topper, and leave the trailer home for my smaller yards. It would be badass once it gets to the site, but man I love the simplicity of throwing a push mower in the bed and going. Space is tight on two of my properties and the trailer is a pain. Not a big Kohler fan either... If it was a Honda engine I might try it.
Used to run Hondas too, went through them faster then string trimmers, they're super compact and light but I have to buy a new one every season....

DMT29

LawnSite Platinum Member
My first sticking point (among other things) is the Kohler. Not a fan either. 20 years with Kawi and the occasion Briggs. Call me brand loyal. If everyone is dumping theirs, maybe I can hop on a used one. Really curious, but not enough to buy new yet.

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
The only good thing about the Honda mowers is the engine, the rest is just meh. I hated my HRX217HYA. It was completely out performed by my half the price of the HRX Toro Recycler. Toro mulches better, starts easier without the surging for 5 minutes like the Honda, has a side discharge when needed and the personal pace drive system is much nicer to use. The hydro trans on the Honda will likely last longer than the Toro though. I sold the Honda and never looked back.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
The only good thing about the Honda mowers is the engine, the rest is just meh. I hated my HRX217HYA. It was completely out performed by my half the price of the HRX Toro Recycler. Toro mulches better, starts easier without the surging for 5 minutes like the Honda, has a side discharge when needed and the personal pace drive system is much nicer to use. The hydro trans on the Honda will likely last longer than the Toro though. I sold the Honda and never looked back.
I’ve put my Honda hrx217vka through hell and have never seen it surge, caugh, fart or anything. I packed the deck occasionally last year because I was mulching every yard, I run a single high lift blade now and it tears through anything clean and fast, starts first pull 100% of the time. What causes surging?

Last edited:

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
I’ve put my Honda hrx217vka through hell and have never seen it surge, caugh, fart or anything. I packed the deck occasionally last year because I was mulching every yard, I run a single high lift blade now and it tears through anything clean and fast, starts first pull 100% of the time. What causes surging?
No idea what causes it, something in the carb and apparently its very common. Always started well but would sit and surge for about 5 minutes before I could use it. The biggest issue for me was the mulching, it flat out sucked at that. For a brand new $750 mower is was a real let down.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
No idea what causes it, something in the carb and apparently its very common. Always started well but would sit and surge for about 5 minutes before I could use it. The biggest issue for me was the mulching, it flat out sucked at that. For a brand new $750 mower is was a real let down.
I’ve had good luck with the single blade and 3/4 mulch 1/4 discharge setting. I think having a tad bit air flow out the discharge allows lift but processes clippings somewhat. I like the rear discharge for keeping the clippings from plastering things and messing up beds. I realize that if cutting taller biweeklies the discharge isn’t dispersed well but hey, biweeklies aren’t allowed to complain about visible clippings :nono: