Scag SFC 30 inch youtube reviews

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
I’ve had good luck with the single blade and 3/4 mulch 1/4 discharge setting. I think having a tad bit air flow out the discharge allows lift but processes clippings somewhat. I like the rear discharge for keeping the clippings from plastering things and messing up beds. I realize that if cutting taller biweeklies the discharge isn’t dispersed well but hey, biweeklies aren’t allowed to complain about visible clippings :nono:
I never even got to use it in any customer yards, I vetted it on my own well cared for lawn that I mow 2-3 times a week. When it couldn’t mulch 3 days of growth without dumping clumps along the right rear wheel I found that unacceptable. I messed around with the versi mow settings, two clicks open worked ok but that’s a BS work around for such an expensive machine. When my $325 Toro would mow circles around it I quit screwing around and sold it. I wanted to love it, but it sucked.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
I never even got to use it in any customer yards, I vetted it on my own well cared for lawn that I mow 2-3 times a week. When it couldn’t mulch 3 days of growth without dumping clumps along the right rear wheel I found that unacceptable. I messed around with the versi mow settings, two clicks open worked ok but that’s a BS work around for such an expensive machine. When my $325 Toro would mow circles around it I quit screwing around and sold it. I wanted to love it, but it sucked.
Are you running the SR4? One of the guys here puts the cv224 on them. You might already know this.

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
Are you running the SR4? One of the guys here puts the cv224 on them. You might already know this.
No, just the regular steel deck Recycler, not the Super Recycler. It has the Toro branded 159cc engine. When it dies I’ll throw a Honda on it maybe.

OP
S

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
Well I guess we will wait and see if Scag stands behind this product.

Ferris did us super right with our first two FW15's. They gave us two new sets of front casters(included everything-bolts, nuts, clips, brackets, wheels etc.) with beefier welds and thicker throat holder bracket. We had not even needed them. They just sent them to our dealer. The machines without the new modified V brace bracket from the front deck to the caster wheel pipes, will be replaced anytime if we need the dealer to do it or we have a failure/bend. We have more than a few FW15's now. A second generation machine under the cutting deck started pitting badly last fall(we also ceramic coat the heck out of all metal surface areas when pristine brand new) even with the ceramic coat on it, underneath the coat somehow. Ferris sent a brand new entire deck module to the dealer no questions asked.

Again I hope Scag will do you guys right that have any 1st year production model hiccups.

Capt J-rod

LawnSite Member
After looking at the scag and ferris these are both nice machines. The bagger on the scag seems more conventional where as the ferris seems more as an after thought. Side discharge on the ferris seems like a pain for close quarters. The Honda on the ferris is definitely a plus to me. The 200# is the deal breaker for me. I know you can't have everything, but I can buy three honda mowers that last 3-4 years for the price of one of these units.

OP
S

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
@Capt J-rod

The Ferris FW15 was definitely engineered to be a side discharge machine I heavily believe. It does it fantastically. I agree the Ferris bagging system could use some improvement. But after we creamic coated inside and out of the chute and every other piece of the system(including the bag itself) it works flawlessly when in use. Guarantee it is easier to take the bag on and off the Ferris also. Each FW15 has its own Accelerator bagger as well. Plus the chute blocker. Yes we modified the clipping exhaust opening heavily, but all 4 attachments(chute blocker, Accelerator bagger, Ferris bagger, mulch plate) can easily be swapped in a moment. I don't know of any other commercial walk-behind machine that can do that and do it well.

Also on the weight issue, the Ferris weighs at least 50-60lbs heavier than the Scag. It doesn't matter. The Ferris hydro drive and thumb and finger actuation(forward and reverse) of the bar is so gosh darn easy. And easy on the hands.

The Ferris FW15 is just a breeze to operate. It takes so much hard labor out of the equation of walking and mowing yards all day. With the front casters you almost never even have to lift the front end ever. But if you do, the Ferris is so well balanced it's a joke.

My take is if you're in the market for a Toro, Ferris or Scag 30-32 inch walk-behind mower, demo all 3 and make your own descision. We've tried the Toro. Our opinion on them is junk. The Ferris blows it out of the water for our needs. Haven't got to test the Scag but I'm pretty sure the Scag demo rep will bring one by and let us try it out sometime this summer. But so far I've yet to see any reason to go with the Scag whatsoever.

Last edited:

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Each FW15 has its own Accelerator bagger as well. Plus the chute blocker. Yes we modified the clipping exhaust opening heavily, but all 4 attachments(chute blocker, Accelerator bagger, Ferris bagger, mulch plate) can easily be swapped in a moment. I don't know of any other commercial walk-behind machine that can do that and do it well.
Some pics would be great...particularly of the modified chute + chute blocker + mulch plate.

The factory mulch kit works well overall (particularly w/ Nov's leaves & early-Spring cleanups, less so w/ juicy Spring turf), but it is not as simple to install/remove as I'd prefer. It is downright time-consuming.

As I've stated before, I don't think the FW15 is for everyone, but there are so few choices in this mower size that this is by far the best mower choice for my business model. It really is nimble & easy to operate. Having reverse is YUUUGE. I really can't imagine not having reverse on this new Scag 30 - or the Toro/Exmark 30s.