• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Scag SSZ

wpines

LawnSite Member
What would a homeowner used '98 Scag SSZ zero turn with 1100 hours, 61 inch deck, 20 hp kohler, factory leaf vac system, spare blades and belts. It was dealer serviced and it's in great shape.

Shady Brook

LawnSite Bronze Member
To me, that is a primative rider. The bagger is way to heavy for the machine, and can cause premature cracking of the deck where that motor hangs off. It is relatively slow, and the cut does not appear great to me. It seems to me that it is fairly underpowered as well.

I would not give more then $2500 for the whole deal myself.

Maybe it would be a great machine for you, I am just not real impressed with that machine.

Good luck
Jay

mowhigh

LawnSite Member
Not sure if it's the same model, but a mechanic at my local dealer is selling his '97 Scag SuperZ(?) with 61" deck and 800 hours. The original 22.5 hp engine was replaced (after being run with low oil - that's how he got it from American Freight Lines) with a new 24 hp Kaw, along with the PTO clutch and all belts. He's asking $2800. Does that sound right to anyone familiar with this Scag? I hope to check it out this weekend (primarily to be used on 1-2 acres residential). Thanx...

G-father

LawnSite Member
You can't always trust the hour meter. 800 hours seams a little low for a replacement PTO clutch etc.

Make sure you look over the condition of the mower very carefully, the replacement parts on z's are very expensive.

wpines - 20 hp on a 61 inch will be underpowered in my opinion. I would not pay 4500.