Lawn Care Forum banner

Scag SSZ

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bluegrass01 
#1 ·
I found this website and thought there was a lot of good info on here. Hopefully, you guys can help me out on this one. I know this is the commercial forum, but I wanted your opinion since this mower is designed for commercial use and a lot of you have probably used this model. Here's the deal:

I'm in the market for a ZTR for residential use only. I've got 1 1/2 acres w/ lots of mature trees. I've been limping along w/ an old rear engine snapper w/ a 30" cut. It takes over 3 hours to mow the yard. Way too long, plus the snapper is about to die on me. I've come across a guy that has just upgraded commercial mowers and is looking to sell his old one. It's a Scag SSZ, 48" cut, w/ a 18 HP Kohler, that has been rebuilt and has about 20 hrs. on it. I think he said the original engine had about 500 hrs. He said it was rebuilt because of the valve guides. He's asking $2000 for it. Does this seem like a reasonable price? Also, what do I need to look for when I check out the mower?

Thanks for your help,

Bluegrass01

#4 ·
The SSZ was made back in the early 90's. It was Scags first attempt at a twin hydro "Z" type mower. They had 20 inch rear drive wheels, a fairly high center of gravity, The Hydro Gear combo pump/motor drive units. In other words, they were similar to the Toros, Gravelys, Hustlers and other Z's of 10 to 15 years ago.

These were good sturdy made machines for their day, and if it is in good mechanical condition, it should make a really good mower for doing your own personal lawn. It would not be a good mower for a pro cutter - time and technology has passed it way by.

If it is in real good shape and all repaired - $2000 is probably OK. I wouldn't consider any more than that , for a machine that old.

#5 ·
my opinion only.....it seems high for a 10 year old mower. you may not be impresseed with it either, even if it is a z....some of the older mowers wern't that great. by the way, if something like the hydro quits on you, its not cheap to fix. it may cost you more in the long run. You may be better spending more on a new mower like a 2-3 year old scag or equal ztr or on a new walkbehind....I bet the quality of cut will be better too. check ebay too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.