Scag SWZT spindle bites the dust

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Dec 17, 2017.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Should have been watching these closer top bearing went out and damaged the shaft and the pulley.:wall:wall A new scag idea of having spindles with NO grease zerts.:dizzy: Here is list of parts needed. Lasted a couple years at about 15 hours a week.

Screenshot (78).png

Total $94

If I had inspected weekly ....2 bearings cost $14 ...one hour labor. If I can get the inside dust cover off the bearings I will add zert.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

The seal/s just pop right out using a small screwdriver. BUT, ya gotta be careful when pumpin' grease in using yer newly installed zerK fitting. Too much grease/pressure and ya might pop the outer seal off the bearing...oops.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Meh
    Two years and $94
    I don’t think that’s a reason to poo poo scag manufacturing decisions.
    Lots of companies moved to greaseless spindles

Mostly because people don’t grease the stuff anyway
    They’re playing to the audience they have
    People who expect the machine to do all the work

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And what about using a cheap China sourced bearing in an application with no zerts? I am going to put in a quality bearing not a cheap one. And BTW if we don 't speak out nothing changes. I know scag southwest monitor lawn site because I got a call a couple times. The main reason for post was to see if I had random fail and to alert others to keep eye on them. This WILL be replaced under warranty.

5. TPendagast

Male

If you change it by adding zerks
    That could legitimately void the warranty

We have to speak out because a bearing failed after two years?
    I just dont think this is a critical failure

6. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen timken bearing fail prematurely. Every company is going to have one or two problems every now and then. Like you said if you would have inspected it you could have saved most of the other parts. I would just use this as a learning experience and mow on. If you used it 15 hours a week for 2 years that is over 1400 hours. But if they are going to warranty it great.

7. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

Replace them all. Look on ebay. My spindles have 3500 hours and the only thing I ever replaced was the bottom seal. I grease them once a week.

hort101 likes this.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Dealer knows what I do an there is no concern about warranty. And I agree this is not a critical failure...I think I overstated use...Since I got 3 of these machines I am gonna try Timken bearings don't want to grease em. Wright sentar all go at about 600 hours so I started watching and changed them out every couple years.

9. TPendagast

Male

well thats rare, usually dealers look for reasons to get around warranty.

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Huh ??? You absolutely have to grease Timken type bearings regularly. They ain't sealed bearings.