Scag Tiger Cat 2 61 Engine Choice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Justin Rumbley, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Justin Rumbley

Justin Rumbley LawnSite Member

Looking at getting a new TC2 61. I see I can get either the 23.5 hp Kawasaki or the 29 HP Kohler EFI. We currently run TC 52 with the 22 hp Kawasaki and have had no issues with them at all. I've heard a few bad things about the Kohlers on them but wanted to get a broader opinion. I know the first things you usually hear are the bad parts. Looking to buy in the next 2 weeks if it goes through. Thanks.

2. Green Machine 2

Green Machine 2 LawnSite Member

Hey Justin,

I had a TC2 for about a year before I traded it off for a Ferris. My 61" TC2 had the Kawi FX730V. It was only enough power for a normal weekly cut. I have a few properties with fairly steep hills and it bogged down trying to climb them while cutting the weekly growth. Don't get me wrong, the velocity deck is a slick cutting deck, but it needs power to turn the blades! I love Kawi engines, but the FX730v should not be offered with the 61" deck. IMO

The majority of grasses here are tall fescue

3. Justin Rumbley

My main fear of the kawasaki was lack of power.

4. Green Machine 2

I can attest to the lack of power. It was underpowered in most conditions.

I bought a Ferris with the new 29.5 HP FX850 EFI and that thing is a BEAST!

craigdt likes this.
  5. Justin Rumbley

I've considered bumping up to the turf tiger but the extra money and weight turn me off from it. The cheetah would be perfect if the design wasn't completely stupid with the fuel tanks covering the blade bolts where you can't fit an impact wrench.

6. Green Machine 2

If you are deadset on Scag, I suggest the cheetah. I was unaware you couldn't get an impact on the top of the deck. You could always zip them off with the impact from the bottom.

7. Green Machine 2

And if you go with the cheetah.. get something more than the 27hp fx850.I know a guy who had one, the Hydrogear 5400 pulls a lot of power. I suggest getting something bigger.

8. weeze

weeze Banned

you can do it if you get a swivel adapter for your sockets. i do it on my cheetah. i have the 29hp kohler efi on the cheetah with a 61" deck. it works but a little more power would be nice. on a tiger cat 2 it should be plenty of power though since it uses smaller hydros than the cheetah does. if getting a cheetah get the 35hp kohler efi or 31hp kawi engine.

Green Machine 2 likes this.
  9. Justin Rumbley

Is the ride quality of that seat as good as they claim?

10. weeze

weeze Banned

it's comfy but so is a good suspension seat. it's just a different approach to achieve the same result.