Scag Tiger Cat Issue

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by walker45, Oct 3, 2019.

1. walker45

walker45 LawnSite Member
    from va

I have a 27HP Kohler 61" Tiger cat recently when I mow doesn't happen everytime after I am mowing for a little while the engine sounds like it starves for gas and bogs down. I have replaced filters air and gas fuel pump and replaced the fuel valve that changes tanks. Sometimes it picks back up other times it doesn't, can bring it back in go back out and mow an hour without any problems. Anyone have any ides what to look at.

2. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

What you describe can happen when the deck becomes clogged. If you are mowing dense, wet, long vegetation even the Scag decks can clog and the engine bogs down until the clog blows free, or the engine can even stop. This is especially true if you are mowing at a low deck height and if you have the discharge chute in place.

Take a look at the underside of the deck to make sure you do not have a build up of grass sticking there. If you do, use something like a 3" paint scraper to clean it. At the first sign the engine is bogging down, stop and lift the deck to see if accumulated grass blows free.

3. OP
    OP
    walker45

walker45 LawnSite Member
    from va

Deck is clean no buildup it may run 30 minutes then start to bog down doesn't shut off sounds like it is starving for gas. Restart again ans may not happen at all.

4. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you take a look to see if there is any debis in your tanks?

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  5. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

How many hours on it? Have you looked at electrical? Sounds like it is heating up something, like coils, spark plug, connections, fuses.....

6. OP
    OP
    walker45

walker45 LawnSite Member
    from va

I have replaced plugs recently

7. OP
    OP
    walker45

walker45 LawnSite Member
    from va

Sorry 220 Hrs

8. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

My money is on a bad coil. I’ve had it on 2 different Kohlers this year. When it happens, try pulling plug wires one at a time. The bad side should have no or very little change...the good one will cause the engine to die most likely.

Mumblingboutmowers likes this.
  9. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

I second prezek on checking the coils. Also check to make sure your fuel vent is open and clear.