Lawn Care Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm open to the pros and cons of these two machines. I realize the Turf Tigers extra features, Just looking for your opinions that actually own these Z's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have 61" turf tiger,if I was wanting a 52" with an air cooled engine,I would buy the smaller machine.The turf tiger is BIG and heavy,I'm not sure it would have ANY advantage over smaller machine,it would hold hills better, but I doubt the the extra size and weight is worth it.--I do prefer a kaw over a hon,a 23kaw makes more torque than a 24hon.--Don't just limit yourself to scag,look at lazerz & lazerZhp,and super Z and mini Z.Pick out the best mower for YOU! :) :)

·
Banned
4,203 Posts
You can buy a lazer cheaper than a turf tiger.Personally I'd go with the lazer but scags are good machines as well.Wouldn't buy a honda engine either.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Whats wrong with Honda Engines? Where I live all the hire places use Honda engines in their machines. These get some serious hours on them and some real morons using them. So this obviously says something. As far as choice of machine goes I have been looking for a new Z my self lately and was looking at a Turf Tiger and the dealer told me he would't touch em with a barge poll!! This is coming from a dealer thats sold Scag for 10 years. He told me to go with the tiger cub as they have had little or no problems with them. He also told me after 10 years of dealing Scag he is thinking of dropping them and dealing EX Mark. I would ask your dealer for a list of Lco's that own these machines and ring them and ask them what sort of down time they have had with them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Why would you guys not recommend honda's? I have experience first hand of the declining quality at Kawasaki. Never had ANY trouble out of Honda or B&S engines in my years. IF the honda is so bad, any one got any pricing in your area on a turf tiger 52"/25 kohler?

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Cub with the Honda engine and 52" deck. It is a great machine. Nice cut, never a problem. And the mulch kit works great.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Scag 52" 23HP Cub here. Nothing but rave reviews.

This thing has taken some serious abuse and keeps on going. Great size and powered machine for a first (or perhaps last) ZTR.

Jimbo

There are alot of machines out there so try them all. If you lean toward the Scag I can answer many of the questions you may have.
The Kawi engines are proven performers. I would stay away from the larger Honda engines (IMO).

·
Registered
305 Posts
We've got the 48" Tiger Cub. Great machine, less money than the Exmark. When we looked at Exmarks in our area, the Exmark dealer was raving about Kohler engines. Everyone else we talked to said go with Kaw.

We have the Kaw, never had a problem.

Test all machines and make your decision.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Jimbo
Scag 52" 23HP Cub here. Nothing but rave reviews.

This thing has taken some serious abuse and keeps on going. Great size and powered machine for a first (or perhaps last) ZTR.

Jimbo

There are alot of machines out there so try them all. If you lean toward the Scag I can answer many of the questions you may have.
The Kawi engines are proven performers. I would stay away from the larger Honda engines (IMO).
For local GOOD service I have either JD or SCAG. I am trading in a JD GT235 tractor on this Z. The JD z's are over priced, and under built. I have a SCAG 36" Belt WB, currently replacing the Kaw 13 hp on it for a Kohler 18hp. The kaw valve seat rode out of the block, hence the replacement. No problem with SCAGs at all, Just don't care for the Kaw Engine. I have heard that there have been some problems with the new line Kaw engines they are sitting on the Tiger Cubs. Seems Kaw let some go real cheap and didn't pass QC as well? Might have something to do with the $5999 special? I have heard not just on this board, but at several dealers locally. Seeing as I have a 36" SCAG, and don't really need anything larger than a 52", Would that be the way to go for blade compatibility? Is it the same blade on the 36" as the 52"? I know the measurements don't quite add up, but thought there might be some small difference in overlap with the new advantage decks.

Care to state why you would stay away from the Larger Hondas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The blades for 36" and 52" decks are exactly the same (2 vs 3) is the only difference.

As far as the comment about larger Hondas I was only stating what I had heard from others on these boards. You are guilty of the same thing regarding the $5999 special. To my knowledge the reason for the special was to sell an overstock of the less popular 48" 19HP combo.

Regarding the Kawi (23HP) I can say that I have had neary a problem with mine and it is very strong. I run my equipment hard but I keep it well maintained.

Pick the engine you feel most comfortable with.

Jimbo

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Jimbo
The blades for 36" and 52" decks are exactly the same (2 vs 3) is the only difference.

As far as the comment about larger Hondas I was only stating what I had heard from others on these boards. You are guilty of the same thing regarding the $5999 special. To my knowledge the reason for the special was to sell an overstock of the less popular 48" 19HP combo.

Regarding the Kawi (23HP) I can say that I have had neary a problem with mine and it is very strong. I run my equipment hard but I keep it well maintained.

Pick the engine you feel most comfortable with.

Jimbo
Thanks for the info. I do remember you posting this pic of your Cub at work. What setup are you using? i.e. blades, mulch kit? I'm looking at $7099 for a 52"/23 kaw cub, and $8895 for a 52"/25 kohler tiger. I can demo the cub, but can only demo a 61"/27 hp w/bagger tiger. Kind of over kill, but this is all the dealer has available. To me, the Cub seems like more than enough machine for what I do, but I do like the shorter/wider build of the tiger. At 6'3" 250lbs I need all the lower gravity working for me.:D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have owned Scags since 1986 and have loved them all. I would take the 52" 25hp Kaw Turf Tiger. I have both the mowers you are talking about except my cub has a Kaw. The Tiger doesn't have the blade tip speed that the Cub has but it will cut much thicker grass with less work due to the drive shaft. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
For the best cut I would use the standard Scag medium lifts blades. You can go after market but make sure they are straight or you will be blaming the mower for a poor (uneven cut...when its not the mowers fault).

I went to the dealer the other day to get some blades and he must have shown me 20 blades and I could only find 5 that were straight. I had the same problem with blades bought from J-thomas.

Jimbo

·
Registered
634 Posts
Id say demo both out, depending on what you are all mowing the Tiger might be the better choice. When we bought ours back in '01 we talked with the dealer about it and he said if your going to be mowing hills that the Tiger is a better machine because of its wider stance.
The prices you have listed are high, but i guess its different from state to state, we got ours with a 23Hp Liquid Cooled Kawi for $8400. No major problems, just had a bad gasket on my left pump a few weeks ago with 500hrs on it but it was cheap to fix.
So demo them both out and see which one you like more and which one will make your buisness be efficent and may $$.
matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts