Lawn Care Forum banner

Scag to Toro

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Down2EarthLawns 
#1 ·
Hi- I am looking for anyone who has used the toro z masters input and scags. We have run scag turf tigers for the last ten years and been very happy with them. However the price seems to be getting out of hand on these. I can get 2 new toros for $3500 less using there points program ( comarable machines engine wise). Over the years we have cut back on our accounts and mostly service very nice healthy lawns, and the scag does not seem to excel on these properties. I realize it is tough to find a machine built like a scag, however we are owner operators and maintain our stuff really well. So is the toro cut quality with the turbo force deck any better, secondly is there any reliability issues with the toros? One more thing any advice on their dfs system or is peco a better way to go?

#2 ·
In my opinion, red mowers tend to leave a better quality of cut. These would be Toro, Exmark, and Snapper Pro. Any of these three would probably fits your needs nicely. If you are doing really heavy grass i would suggest the Ultracut on the exmark, or the turbo force on the toro. I have a 36 in snapper pro walk behind, and it leaves a nicer cut than any mower i have ever used, just doesnt cut big areas very fast. I too am looking for a z, and right now it is between a used snapper pro 52 in and a toro zmaster 550 60 in with the turbo force. Just have to see if i get a big contract tonight so i can afford the new one!!

#5 ·
Scag all the way. If you have had them for 10 yrs and they were fine--"it ain't broke--don't fix it!" Every mower has gone up in price--so has everything else--but for most major players so has the quality--better components, less "shop" time, faster machines that allow us to do more.
As far as 'quality fo cut"----the "grass always looks greener in the next field"--but is it---and if so---at what cost?

#6 ·
You can't really compare the turf tiger to any other mower. I think it's very important that you run the new velocity deck. It's the best cutting deck on the industry. Take a look at the wildcat or tiger cub scag's. I think thats what you need to price and compare with the toro. Just some thoughts:

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys- pretty much what I expected. Heres the deal though- after working with both dealers on Toro- 580, 60" 29 Kaw EFI and 52" 550 28 Kaw l/c =$13400 total. Scags- 52" wildcat 28 kaw and 61" turf tiger total of $18700. $5300 is a big difference. We will be keeping one Scag for our tough properties and open lot mowing and as a backup. I just can't see spending the extra money unless there are some glaring issues with the toros. Both dealers are excellent so service in a split unless I am going to be going there every week ( been there with great dane). All these prices are on 08 models, I know the scags are damn near indestructible, we are just trying to take a lean approach to our maintenance and I don't want to be bit in the #$% by being broke down, so I guess I'm looking for input on the reliability of the toros. Trust me I love scags, but the way the economy is every dollar counts these days, we will be paying cash for these and it's nice to have some extra $ going into the season.

#8 ·
Are you going to replace them when the warranty runs out or run them longer. If it is until the warranty runs out then the Toro seems like a decent choice. If you run them longer I would recommend the Scag. You probably could get an extra 3 years out of them compared to the Toro and thats pretty cheap 3 years for $5300. You got the cash now, who knows how things will be when the toro's are worn out, the 3 extra years could be a big thing then.

#9 ·
Scag all the way , If dollars are a issue get 2 wildcats Dollar for dollar Scag cant be beat , you get what you pay for How many hrs do you have on your current TT now if its low hrs keep it or remotor it and rebuild the deck / BIGClawn is running early 90s scag walks now every day and he rebuilds the decks with new spindles and idlers when needed and remotors the machine when needed / Scags mowers can run alot of yrs and they dont have to be shiny to cut grass unlike my waxed mowers lol

#10 ·
Them old Scags we use remind me of the old Dodge powerwagons--ugly--but serious work trucks! We make a lot of money with the old machines--they run today just like they did many years ago--very little yearly expense--very little for those "caring" employees to break!
On the surface--they may be saving money but no equal quality machines would realisticly be priced that far apart..there's something missing here...

#12 ·
I have 2 new Toro's; Z453 48" w/23 hp Kaw & Z560 60" w/31 hp Kaw. I have not run Scags. I have been extremely satisfied with the quality and have had no problems to date. These beat out my old 52" Exmark. I can go almost full speed in summer-growing St. Augustine without leaving any stringers. However, Scag fans have made me think I should have added one more demo to my list when shopping. Oh well, there aren't any Scag dealers close by anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.