Scag TT2 61” Engine Feedback

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Nrgwave, Sep 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nrgwave

Nrgwave LawnSite Member

i have seen a couple posts regarding TT2 engine feedback however none of them recent. The last one was in 2018. I am looking to purchase my first scag and start building my business. Which engine is has the best power output, longevity, fuel consumption and reliability, Kawi 31 DFI or 37 vanguard EFI?

Thanks in advance.

2. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

I've always been a kawi fan for over 25+ years. I've had Kawi motors in everything from walk behinds to push blowers to motorcycles. They really do make great, reliable engines. The largest Kawi I've owned was a 26hp on a Gravely ZTR. Zero problems again. I've read some horror stories about the newer big blocks having issues. With that said, I think they've been somewhat isolated and most have been fixed. I just purchased a new Ferris Is3200z with the 37hp Briggs. Honestly I thought I would never own another Briggs product, however, with all the hype and talk about how well this motor is, I had to find out for myself. The engine is ridiculously powerful. Starts right up, smooth running, and doesn't bog through the thick stuff. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a TT2 with the Vanguard 37 EFI and it's fantastic. I too have had a bunch of Kawasaki powered mowers and while they were always reliable I always felt they lacked power. I feel like you'll really enjoy a TT2 with the big Vanguard.

4. Jordy

Jordy LawnSite Member

The tiger cat 2 I looked at yesterday had the 22 hp commercial kawi on 52” deck...I was wondering if that was enough engine as well

5. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It might be enough in weekly maintained dry grass but if you get into thick wet grass I think it would struggle.

6. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 72" TTII with the Kawasaki LC 31 hp. I was skeptical whether it would have enough power for that size deck in the dense vegetation (it can hardly be called grass) that I mow, but it does better than my 52" TT with the 27hp Kohler did. I have no doubt that the 37 hp Vanguard would give more power, and would probably cost a bit less up front, but the Vanguard would use more fuel. I am happy with my choice.

7. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

My vanguard 37 efi on my 61" averages about 1.3 gallons an hour... roughly. I have no regrets on my engine choice to date.