• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Scag TTII hydro- guess I screwed it up

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
Looking for advice. Low hrs scag ttii with 37 efi vanguard. Started year end maintenance tonight. Changed hydro fluid. I may have 2 separate issues here.

Drained the fluid, changed the filter, and turned the hydro pump release bolts (use to doing this with a different mower). Turning the hydro release bolts was hard as heck (turned counterclockwise).

Filled with fluid, jacked the rear up and started it up to run for a few minutes with the rear off the ground. Then slowly moved the leaves forward and back. Turned it off, turned the hydro release bolts back clockwise. One side (LH side) stopped turning as should when tightened. The right hand side will not tighten up at all now. This is issue #1. Issue #2 is that the mower seems to operate ok on the LH side, the though is definitely not right.

So what am I looking at here as far as fix options? Whole new pump on a 280 some odd hour mower?
20201211_183112.jpg

OP
Eric502

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
No fluid leaks. Both dumps were an absolute bear to loosen!!! But the rh side will not tighten back, at all.

I contemplated totally removing it and having a look. But I figure that would cause more issues than it would solve.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
So is that side driving? I wouldn't pull that hydro to tear down. If you pull on that plug can you pull it out? Don't pull hard! There may be an oring that you backed plug out. I would push down hard to see if it would get back past the oring. Before doing that wait until Fish replies.

OP
Eric502

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
It is driving, but not very strong at all. Pulling on the plug does nothing. I have tried pushing on it while turning with a wrench with no real luck.

I have not loosened it back out and then tried to tighten it again.... that could be a thought. I basically stopped while i was a head and wanted to get some input before I royally screwed myself further.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
I basically stopped while i was a head and wanted to get some input before I royally screwed myself further.

The threads are blown out. You might be able to get away with just replacing the valve. One of our guys over tighten one a couple of years back, and it started to leak after a few days. When I got it, I tried to tighten it, it wouldn't.

Long story short, I backed the old one out, took a magnet in a rubber glove and made sure there wasn't any threads left in the hole. Put the new valve in. That Exmark is still going out every day, maybe it's got another 1000 hours on it since.....Maybe the lawn mower gods where smiling on me
:)

Good news maybe, I think you are on the back end of the system, so if any metal did get in there, it should be going to the filter before going back out.....