1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag Turf Runner help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Scooby1, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Scooby1

Scooby1 LawnSite Member
    from England

I am a farmer from England and landed on this site almost by accident but glad I did. I have about 1.5 acres of lawn around my house that I cut with a Scag Turf Runner. I bought it from a collective sale for £1750 GBP with 167 hrs on the clock in as new condition. Now I like the machine (20 hp Kohler - but petrol is very pricey in UK) but I have 2 worries. The aluminium gearbox was very noisy and I managed to get a cast gearbox from the importer but they were not very helpful and I got the impression that the TR was a bit of dud.

Also it hates wet/mushy/grass and clover. It just builds up round the inside of the hood (48") then dumps it in lumps. It does quite a good job in very dry conditions.

My main question is can I modify the blades ? At the moment they seem to have a cutaway section on the lifting part just above the sharp edge and I fell that if I modified them that so that it gave the grass a better whack into the blower it might stop it collecting so much round the hood.

All comments gratefully appreciated and TIA - Scooby1

2. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you have mulching blades. I would switch them to straight hi-lift blades for a little extra push to get it to the blower.

Hope this helps!

3. Scooby1

Scooby1 LawnSite Member
    from England

Thanks for this Keth. If you go to page 3 of this forum you will find piccies on the "Scag Blades" thread that I posted in response to another helpful guy in the US. It may just be that I have worn out my blades (300 ish hours). I do not use the machine for ploughing or any other sort of cultivating !!!

I'm still concerned about the gearbox though.

Best wishes from the U.K. - Scooby1

4. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

How often do you sharpen the blades? I sharpen mine twice a week typically. Make sure they are sharp as a knife and try the hi lifts.

Best of luck.

5. Scooby1

Scooby1 LawnSite Member
    from England

Cheers Keth.

Probably don't sharpen blades as much as I should but a bit of a fiddle on a STR. I am told that the grass is much different in the U.K. than it is in the US. We are currently having a very wet summer and consequently the grass is always lush and very often wet.

There is usually a lot of clover in U.K. lawns and the STR don't like that. Not one bit it don't.

Tooooodleooo - Scooby1