1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Scag Turf Runner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLC, Apr 3, 2000.

1. mountainviewland

mountainviewland LawnSite Member

I had a turf runner for about 6 months it was in the shop for about 4 of them. The machine cut horrible. Scag offered no help thank god for my dealer. I traded it in and got an 52" Exmark Explorer. After the way I was treated by Scag they couldnt give me a fleet of mowers. I have talked to many other people in my area who feel the same.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

A friend had one, 48 inch, never cut even always looked like steps cuz the deck cracked near the outboard spindle, scag replaced the deck, did it again a month later but by this time the engine had blown with 277 hours on it cuz he never bothered to clean the crap from the flywheel screen so he left it at the dealer and stopped making his payments.<p>Other contractors use them for years with no problems so go figure.<p>Bill

3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Evan something must have been wrong with this mans scag. I live in indiana and the two top sellers are scag and exmark, I know to many of my friends in this bussiness run scag and they cut great,and there built better than any mowers ive seen,except the danes. I think what you saw was a cutter that doesn't change out or sharpen his blades maybe even had them on wrong. But scag mowers in indiana have a nice cut.<p>----------<br>Mark's Mowing Service<br>

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

lET ME THROW MY .02 IN! I own a 96 Super Z and have to agree that for real productivity, it falls behind the others big time. It was my bread and butter for a couple of years til I bought my 2 Choppers. I have over 1000 hrs on it and now use it exclusively for a bagger, I bought a Trac-Vac for it. As for quality of cut, mine makes a real nice cut especially now, without the bagger it did well on everything but bahai, it would miss a bunch of that. Don't even think about cutting wet grass with it! There is no comparison between it and my Choppers but for an entry level mower it has paid for itself over and over. I haven't had any major problems since I owned it except a blown head gasket, I think i caused that by not cleaning the wind screen one day. I have heard bad things about the turf runner from my dealer, I would never buy one now anyway, find a good used chopper and you'll be miles ahead. I have heard great things about the turf tigers too, even demo'd one but the one I tried was having some major problems the day I tried it so.............bought the chopper.<p>Homer

5. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

what kind of problems was the Turf Tiger having when you took it as a demo???<br>just wondering.<br>:)

6. David R Hartzog

David R Hartzog Guest

I had i scag turf runner i thougt it would be a great mower and now i am out of buessines it contiuly broke down ihad a walk behind and had no problems please DON&quot;T BUY ONE WALK BEHINDS ARE GOOD BUT THE RUNNER S U C K E D

7. David R Hartzog

David R Hartzog Guest

BUY A GRASSHOPPER.

8. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

IF YOU WANT A QUALITY CUT AND COLLECTION CAPABILITY FROM A ZERO TURN RIDER BUY A WALKER, THEY ARE THE BEST ,THERE IS NOTHING TO COMPARE IT TO. JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION.

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

ZYAL8R, THE DEALER CLAIMED IT HAD TOO MUCH OIL, WOULDN'T RUN CORRECTLY, BOGGED......? I HAVEN'T DEMO'D A GOOD ONE SO I HAVE NO OPINION REALLY ON HOW WELL THEY PERFORM.<p>HOMER

10. Gus

Gus LawnSite Member

Ive got a Scag Super Z as a back up that cuts as good as any machine I`ve seen. I`ve heard Turf Runners were problematic but the new Cougar is a fine machine. A lot of times its not the machine but the way its set up. A Z with an unlevel deck won`t cut well no matter the brand. Also some guys aren`t real good on keeping their blades sharp. Scags are well built machines certainly not &quot;orange junk.&quot;