1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Scag Turf Runner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLC, Apr 3, 2000.

1. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Had a turf runner for 6 mths. the dealer finaly gave me alllllll my $$ back and I bought a GRASSHOPPER 925 love it. stay away from scagggggggg!!!

2. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

I have a turfrunner and haven't had a problem runs great , no break downs. I bought it for a specific account a townhouse community that had to have the clippings picked up and the turfrunner has been exellent there . however most everthing said already is true the cut is not as good as a WB , its not the quickest at production cutting , the controls take quitea long time to master most of the help still leave large divets in the grass and absolutly no slopes .

3. Deer Dynamics

Deer Dynamics LawnSite Member

i own a 48 inch turfrunner w/kohler motor 216 hours on it...is a VERY picky machine, doesn't like wet grass, and not the fastest machine on the block by far.... but with tlc she's a very high quality fish mower, excelent in tight small lawns that require bagging or close to large beds where bagging is a must ....but as i grow so does my need for larger machines, so she sits a lot of the time, would sell it if someone needed it but she doesn't eat much in the barn ..............2500 would get her out of here though....all in all a decent machine for the right person and application and 2500 is a steal and probably more of a reality than the original dealer price for what it is and does . . snowboss

4. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

You know this thread is like 7 years old, right?

5. deere-man

deere-man LawnSite Member

I have to agree with David R. Go out and buy a Grasshopper or a Deere.

6. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have seen people use them and they cut extremely well in dry or wet. i run turf tigers and walkbehind and they are awesome in wet grass and dry.
    $4000 doesnt sound too bad if it in is great shape.

7. Deer Dynamics

Deer Dynamics LawnSite Member

LMAO...wow wasn't even paying attention to the post date - - sorry bud....was just researching this turfrunner and got all happy with the keyboard...have a good one

8. jasonhc73

jasonhc73 LawnSite Member
    Male, from WICHITA KS

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

No, those were unreliable pieces of junk from day 1. Very few were sold, and a number of those were bought back by the dealers, or by Scag directly. I doubt you can even get parts now.
    Scrap iron value would be a good price. So, that would be around $100.00 or so.

10. wheatus

wheatus LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a strangely appropriate for me. I have a 1997 Turf Runner and am trying to decide if it is worth fixing (hydraulic leak and engine oil leak) or just selling and buying a Walker or Navigator. We don't use it much, maybe 4-6 hours a week. It is too hilly here for these types of mowers to be used much.

It isn't a piece of junk. It cuts well but I would be wary of buying one because the aren't in production anymore and parts could (are?) hard to come by. And not for $2900, especially if it was going to be your primary machine.