Scag Turf Tiger 2 Engine options

bigdaddyregier

LawnSite Member
I am replacing my stolen cheetah this week and I brought a turf tiger home tonight to use as a demo tomorrow. After using it for 30 minutes tonight I have already decided the ride is significantly better than the cheetah so I'll probably get a TT2 this week. The demo has the 31 DFI Kawasaki. After reading a lot of people raving about the 37 Vangaurd I was planning on getting that option but when I was talking to my dealer they suggested either the 26.5 efi kohler or the 31 DFI Kawasaki. They said they will get me a vangaurd if I want it and the 37 is really powerful, which is why people like them initially, but they said the kohler and kawasaki will easily be more reliable in the long run. They told me the liquid cooled kawasaki will last the longest outside of a diesel. I don't think I would be happy with the 26.5 hp so I have pretty much ruled the kohler out. Does anyone have any insight into the reliability of the kawasaki vs either the 37 or 35 vangaurds? Really any pros and cons outside of the difference in power would be appreciated.

JeremyKuhn

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm at almost 750 hours with no engine issues. Other than an occasional long turn over to restart after the machine has been running a while there is nothing wrong with mine. I love the power, honestly not sure I would like the machine as much unless all I were mowing is flat areas.

Wobbles

LawnSite Member
He's probably just trying to offload his floor stock. I'd be getting the vanguard most definitely. (havent used them personally, but like you. I hear great things).

OP
B

bigdaddyregier

LawnSite Member
I don't think that's the case here. They don't have the Kawasaki in stock right now other than the demo and they told me when I picked up the demo that I will be able to get a new one for about the same price since I qualify for fleet pricing. I think they really don't like BV.

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Bronze Member
I’ve always like Kawasaki, I’ve got an FX730v they just seem solidly built and intuitive to work on. I agree with the dealer saying that they will last a long time. I’ve talked to a lot of professionals and they share that opinion. I wouldn’t consider a 26.5 Kohler, I’ve heard they are underpowered and they just seem cheap, I’d rather buy an an engine from someone who makes racing motorcycles than urinals. I have heard good things about Briggs like you and everyone else on here. I would go for a Briggs though, when you need to sell because of Briggs following they will sell for a lot more it seems. What’s the price difference?

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
Vanguard here, no issues yet. I do not regret it at all. And you literally could not give me the Kohler.... ever..... I'd say the kawasaki would be a good machine, I was looking at a TT2 with that engine... then they came out the Vanguard options and I never bothered again.

DMT29

LawnSite Fanatic
35 Vanguard on my TT2...recommend for fall cleanup. Beast in the leaves!

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
I like my Kawasaki. It has all the power I need to run my 72" deck in the dense, often damp and deep, vegetation of the wet side of Hawaii Island. While it cost more than either Vanguard would, I should be saving some money on fuel.

Top Forums