1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

scag turf tiger or wildcat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by str400ex, Oct 25, 2006.

1. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

Im looking at buying a new scag around the first of the year and would like to get the 29dfi turf tiger but am a littel leary of the shaft drive I comercial mow and currently have a hopper , I demoed the turf tiger and also the hustler super Z I liked the Z all but the cut quaility the scag cut anything that i put under it any help would be great. thanks Shawn

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I know Scag has a problem every now and then with the drive shaft but I would think this would be a small percentage. I wouldn't be afraid of buying one even though I like belts better. To me the are not as comfortable as the Lazer or Hustler but that's a matter of personal opinion just like the rest of this post I guess. I think the Scag Turf Tiger with the 29 would be a good investment.

3. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

I really liked the way the hustler felt and the controls were more what im used to but the scag had a better quaility in the cut in my area it just left everything looking good without any need to double cut the turf tiger was a littel rougher but not as bad as I was expecting , it had the suspension seat .

4. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i would prefer exmark first but scag is my second choice...

5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Have a new Wildcat 52" 27hp LC kawasaki and it is truly an awsome machine. Cut heavy damp bermuda grass a couple of days ago , fast and never really loaded the engine, just a stream of green coming out the discharge chute.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have both a Hustler and a Scag. The hustler is a nice, comfortable machine, however it does not seem, as durable as a Tiger. Our hustler is worn out after 1000 hours. The Scag is built much tougher. I had the seal go out on the drive shaft, but other than that it looks like it will last awhile w/ some grease. The cut seems to be better on the scag as well. Especially in bahai.

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Turf Tiger and a Tiger Cub. The WildCat is basically just a bigger cub ( engine and deck). The Turf Tiger does great on hills where the cub likes to slide. I would recommend the Turf Tiger I like the larger frame, larger hydro pumps and the shaft drive.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the larger frame is a must for me. Unless you have smaller property's. Scag's are definately tough.

9. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

I think that is the way im going I have quite a few big propertys I mow but I do have a few smaller ones two I live in the Ozarks so the tougher the better thanks for all the input guys I learn alot on this site thanks again Shawn

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Our Turf Tiger is a 52 with a 27 Kohler. We cut yards from 5,000sft to 7 acres. For some reason the Turf Tiger scalps less then our Tiger Cub with a 48.