• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

scag turf tiger purchase

CAG80

LawnSite Member
Its time for a new turf tiger both of our ztr's are pushing 2000hrs.. Last year I demoed the 31 kohler efi and was not totally impressed. I think I had a bit of sticker shock and may have been looking for too much.. The dealer brought to my attention that my old scag tt ( advantage ) is still a good machine to begin with, so the new one my not have the wow factor. I guess I saw his point.. So I'm sure I'm staying with a Turf Tiger but I'm all over the place with motor options. That 31 efi is scary, looks like their is a lot of stuff to go wrong it that I would not know where to start with as far as service. The briggs looks very simple which is nice but a little worried about the fuel and engine life span.. The briggs is 10k the kohler 12.5k, and one dealer has a demo kohler with 130hrs for 10.5k although it looks like a rough 130hrs if you get my drift. So any advice would be great, I'm all over the place on this.. My machine's rack up around 20 running hours each a week. I was thinking fuel may not play to much apart unless it hits 5 bucks a gallon again.. Also does anyone one know of anything new for the TT in 2010.. Thanks any comments are appreciated..

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
What engine HP do you currently have? I would say either would work fine. If your dealer says they can work on the Kohler I wouldn't worry about it. The Briggs according to guys on here doesn't do bad on fuel.

OP
C

CAG80

LawnSite Member
It has 25 kohler command on it. The motor is a little under powered in heavy growth but not bad ( double cuts can kill ya somwtimes ).. The motor is a little tired but has been so trouble free I think I will get 2500hrs out of it and burns 1.3 to 1.5 gph in regular growth which is alright by me. The whole thing with service is by the time you drop off a mower then pick it up you at such a loss for the day unless you happen be near by which does not happen. I have had the issue with constant problems with a new mower and it got to the point where I would pick up the part at the end of the day and fix it myself the next morning.

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ive got one with the 29DFI on it and was looking at the 31 Kohler. they are suppose to be as good on gas as the 29DFI. But your right on the stuff to go wrong, ran a peach thru my raditor $$$$$. If it was a 27 Kohler that wouldnt happen. BUT it aint going to save gas like a DFI either. I would or will buy the 27 Kohler next. 2500 buys alot of gas. And I am not sold on these big hp gas jobs either 33-37hp they have to use alot of gas.

Mike Blevins

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have the 29 dfi and have had excellent luck with it. Plenty of power and great fuel usage. I wouldn't be afraid of the 31 kohler I beleive it has a 3 year warranty on it. The 35 briggs is the one to get if your going to be bagging. It uses more fuel but you make it up on power. U.S. Lawns runs the 35 Briggs Turf Tiger around here and have had excellent service out of them. I wouldn't be afraid of any of them. It just pick out the one you want and get it. :usflag:

SNAPPER MAN

LawnSite Silver Member
I have a turf tiger with the 27hp kohler on it. It is a great engine and rarely bogs down. This year we will be putting a lot of hours on it so I'm excited to see how it does. I would personally recommend the 27hp kohler. They are easy to work on and cheaper to replace than kawasaki's.

OP
C

CAG80

LawnSite Member
One other thing I was wondering about was the differences in the the hour rating for life expectancy between the big block and efi/dfi's. Any others thoughts would be great im really stumped on this choice..

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
I hope my DFI would make 3000hrs for what it cost over a reg gas. One of my old grasshoppers that a friend still has, has 2000hrs on it (20hp Kohler) and it still doesnt smoke and it doesnt have the bigger Donaldon type air cleaner either. But it ran on nothing but 15-50 Mobile 1, was serviced reg and kept the air cleaner cleaned.