Lawn Care Forum banner

Scag Turf Tiger with leaking left hydraulic pump

26K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Wally 
#1 ·
Well, how much you think this will cost me?

It's on my 1999 Turf Tiger with roughly 200 hours. (Personal use, not CC) Left pump/valve assembly has a pretty good leak to it. It appears to be somewhere out of a body seal rather than say just a loose hose. I don't however notice any performance problems compared to the right side.

Getting to the shop tomorrow. Not much into messing with hydraulic systems.

#2 ·
I had a hydro leak on my Scag SSZ last year. The first place I took it quoted $800 for a new pump. They said parts were not available to rebuild. I paid $68 for the estimate and took it to another smaller shop. He rebuilt it for less than $200.

#3 ·
:) Jet youve only got 200hrs on it, you must not use it very much at all, sounds like inside seal, cost might not be to much, you taking it to Scotty's? If so Rick really treats me great, 24hr turn around plus all the other perks, 15% off of anything i purchase, If boon still is the head mechanic let him look at it, he knows his lawn equipment inside out, the other guys are good to, if it's just a seal won't take very long at all to repair........good luck ...Marks Mowing Service

#5 ·
I lost 2 hydro pumps on a Tiger of that vintage. I lost multiple seals as well. Get her fixed before you use her again. I had a seal go, which sent me wheeling out of control, and nearly hammered a customers car. This was after having said seal replaced. Have them make sure there is not burr on the fitting, or it will keep cutting them. That repair will not be costly as long as there is not internal damage to the pump, which it could be. I think the pump goes for nearly 600 bucks. That model Tiger did not have as good of internals as the current ones, which allows them to nuke.

Jay

#7 ·
Mark, do think that possibly Scotty's and other repair places give preferred treatment to LCO's? I am not an LCO. I just have a nice TT that needs repaired.

Called Scotty's first thing Monday AM and they told me about 10 days to repair.
Called them Tuesday because they didn't pickup and was told probably will pick up in next day or two.
Called them today and now it's a next Monday pickup with another week to repair.

What do you LCO's do when you have a major piece of equipment breakdown and you have a 2 week wait for a repair??!?!?

As a side note, does anyone know where technical service manuals can be purchased for the TT? If this was any problem other than hydraulic, I'd be repairing it myself.

Frustrated.

#8 ·
Jet, I see in J Thomas's catalog a seal kit for the pump for $10.99 stock # SK-40, also there is a parts diagram and all of the seals and gaskets are under $3 individually. Here is the link to the website www.j-thomas.com , it is on page 159 of the 2003 catalog. I've got a 01 TT but no hydro troubles yet.:) As far as a manual goes Scag sent me one after I emailed them asking about how to get one. I was pleasantly surprised that they just sent it for free.

#10 ·
Jet i guess is different with the coustmer, They call me two times every week to see if i need anything, if i do i have a account there and they deilver it to me if im gone they put it in my office Rick has my door code, why don't you e-mail me and ill call Rick and see if i can help you out...........Marks Mowing Service

#11 ·
Jet i guess is different with the coustmer, They call me two times every week to see if i need anything, if i do i have a account there and they deilver it to me if im gone they put it in my office Rick has my door code, why don't you e-mail me and ill call Rick and see if i can help you out...........Marks Mowing Service

#12 ·
Thank you Mark. I do appreciate the offer. I think rather than 'upset their apple cart', I will just wait them out. It is just frustrating to me finding out they have preferential treatment. In a sense I can partially understand their internal way of doing business, the LCO's are spending alot more money with them than a single user would. They just won't admit the fact that they do to me when I asked them how an LCO could stay in business if they have to wait 2 weeks for their equipment repairs.

For the "next time", I'm contacting Scag Monday to see if I can get a tech. service manual for the hydraulics. I'm a gearhead, but at the same time I don't want to go tearing into something without the knowledge to do it correctly.

Tom

#13 ·
Jet, I'm looking at the manual Scag sent me and it is an operators manual. However it has an exploded view of the pump and the Scag part numbers. There are no instructions on repair of the pump but I think you won't have any problem with resealing it yourself. I looked back at some of your posts and it looks like you are handy at this kind of stuff. I used to be a Caterpillar mechanic and worked on lots of hydraulics and its not so difficult. From looking at Hydrogears specs our BDP10 pumps only have a pressure of 2psi on the case so that is the pressure on the body gasket, shaft seals and charge pump o ring. You probably know to keep it real clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.