• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Scag V ride 2 52" review 12 hours in

slowleak1

LawnSite Senior Member
Scag V ride 2 52" cut with 23.5 Kawasaki

The good: Cut quality/velocity plus deck, does well both traction and cut wise in slop, faster and does less damage in turns compared to zero turns

The bad: Way under powered, controls not smooth, rattles/vibrates badly, deck has come out of adjustment, hard rubber caster wheels, the suspension for where you stand is too stiff

This is my first stander. It is super fun and definitely more enjoyable to get on and off of compared to a zero turn. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that cuts residential. The ease of use over a zero turn is night and day, and its definitely a time saver. Now on to the scag specific portion of the post.

Let's start with the good. Velocity plus deck cuts awesome in both wet and dry conditions. South Louisiana so mainly st aug, common Bermuda and centipede with a million weeds mixed in. I haven't messed with the baffles any, because I am so pleased with cut quality. Good suction, and the clipping dispersal is very uniform and it spreads it really far. Every now and then I will get a little thicker of a discharge in 7+ day growth Bermuda, but even then its still chugging it out far enough and dispersed enough that I can leave it on one pass. My ONLY complaint is when I get in dallis grass, fescues and sedge it flings out really long blades, but I have yet to use a mower that deals with that well. On to the traction, this thing is awesome in wet conditions. I can cut through standing water, get to the end of a pass, spin her around and keep on going with minimal damage. Dry conditions are even better, I'm definitely saving time being able to spin around without tearing up yards.

On to the bad, which unfortunately out weighs the good at this point. Not nearly enough power. This 23.5 kawasaki doesn't belong on a 52". Just driving it around without the blades off you can hear and feel the motor working hard to run the hyrdos. Engage pto and get into some grass and its even worse. I can only go about 40% stick wise when I get into taller grass, and I'm only talking 1 week of growth. Scag needs to do something about this, as it is the most disappointing part of the mower(besides solid caster wheels). Their only saving grace is that the V+ deck still handles it with ease...but I shouldn't have to reduce my mowing speed to almost 25% at times just to keep the motor from bogging. As much as I hate the kohler, I'm starting to wish I would have gotten the kohler 25 hp EFI. They offer the bigger Kawasaki motors on the TCII, so I'm kind of confused why they don't for the Vrides. And while we are talking about the motor, this thing sure does like to rattle. All my kawasakis in the past have been incredibly smooth, so Im leaning towards it being something with the machine not the motor, but then there's the whole lack of power thing so who knows. I have found 2 other videos on youtube of the 52" with the 23.5 kawi making the same noises mine does...so not too sure.
On to the deck. Love the V+ deck, which is why I went with Scag. Unfortunately, I have had to adjust the deck twice already and its now out of adjustment for the 3rd time. The plus side is they are SUPER easy to adjust, Just sucks having to do it on average every 4 hours.
The hydros/controls. Super touchy, decently smooth but definitely some room for improvement there. One thing I found really weird is that When you are turning, lets say around a flowerbed not the end of a pass, the machine likes to drag the wheel on the inside of your turn along with the machine. By drag, not literally, but the wheel "free spins" on the side you let off of the stick. so in order to actually turn, you have to let fully off the stick then pull it back to stop that wheel, then ease into it to continue turning. I don't know if this is something they did on purpose, but it is extremely aggravating. I will try and get some videos of what I mean since it is hard to describe. On the same subject, with the brake disengaged and motor off, the machine freely roles around so this may be playing a factor in the performance (or lack of) I am describing.
Now for the platform where you stand. I weigh in at 260 lbs, and the springs are too stiff for me. They need to put some softer springs on the thing, so your feet can be level. I find that my feet are constantly toe down, which isn't a huge issue, just an annoyance.
And last but not least, the stupid SOLID FRONT TIRES. Hate them. This is 2020, you would think that a company that can invent new mowing machines would have figured something out for front tires by now. They dig bad in spins, and heaven forbid you try to cross something out of level and they catch.

All in all, the machine is built like a tank, cuts extremely well and is comfortable to use. Maybe I am being over critical on the power issue after coming from a 61" cheetah with a 36 hp briggs and a 36' hustler with a 19 hp kawi, but I really do believe there is alot of room for improvement in the power department. It has definitely saved me time even with having to cut "slower", and I can live with everything I complained about except for the dang solid front tires. Lol.

When I bought my first Scag I was blown away by cut quality, speed and comfort. I just didn't get that feeling this go around. Obviously its hard to get comfort from a stander, but I feel like there will always be that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind that I should have done something different. Sadly, dealers down here don't allow demos, they actually look at you like you're stupid if you ask so I wasnt able to get any real time on any of the brands of machines.

With all of this said, I will be bringing the machine back to the dealer on Friday to discuss everything Ive mentioned and see if there is some simple remedies for any of the problems Im having. Im not so dissatisfied that I regret the purchase, and as Ive said a few times already it does save me time and cuts beautifully, just want to get some things ironed out.

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I’m surprised you feel the FX730v is under powered. I have it on my 60” Hustler and I personally would like more power but I feel it is plenty. This is a 1100lbs 60” Zero turn. I’m Just surprised it wouldn’t perform well on your 52”. I personally haven’t used one, but for issues like yours a lot of these guys recommend a tachometer, If it’s just set a little low it can make a huge difference in performance.

Wobbles

LawnSite Member
Lol they’re releasing the 37hp vanguard on the 52” vr2 in this years live scag event which you can watch on Facebook. Pretty sure it’s taking place October 23rd or there abouts. Unlucky that you bought it a month before the upgraded one is released.

23hp on a 52” in today’s market is definitely underpowered. I’m honestly surprised it’s taken them three years to figure that out. Anything less then 31hp is just unacceptable imo.

Last edited:

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Lol they’re releasing the 37hp vanguard on the 52” vr2 in this years live scag event which you can watch on Facebook. Pretty sure it’s taking place October 23rd or there abouts. Unlucky that you bought it a month before the upgraded one is released.

23hp on a 52” in today’s market is definitely underpowered. I’m honestly surprised it’s taken them three years to figure that out. Anything less then 31hp is just unacceptable imo.
37hp on a 52”. What are y’all doing with your standers, bush hogging up a hill?

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
We just want a mower that cuts grass and doesn’t bog down in the process. If you like bogging down, the fx730 is the way to go lol.
Well I can’t say the 730 doesn’t bog.... mine certainly does. But it seems excessive to have an engine that doesn’t EVER bog. Like mine doesn’t bog 95% of the time and I run it hard. Seems like a waste of gas and money to always be running that much power.

Wobbles

LawnSite Member
I have the 36” vride 2 with the 19hp and it’s bogs down occasionally. Divide 19hp by the two spindles (9.5hp) now times that by the three spindles on the 52” (28.5hp). So for the 52” to have the same power as my 36”.. it would need to be 28.5hp. just from those numbers alone. Also taking into account that it’s throwing grass across an extra spindle is where I believe 31hp should be the minimum For the same output. The 23hp on a 52” is severely underpowered imo.

also, I think that the vanguard 37hp being efi.. that should help on fuel consumption. And another thing. Having an engine that doesn’t bog down is going to increase the life of the engine. Bogging down strains the engine which in turn reduces the life.

Last edited:

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I have the 36” vride 2 with the 19hp and it’s bogs down occasionally. Divide 19hp by the two spindles (9.5hp) now times that by the three spindles on the 52” (28.5hp). So for the 52” to have the same power as my 36”.. it would need to be 28.5hp. just from those numbers alone. Also taking into account that it’s throwing grass across an extra spindle is where I believe 31hp should be the minimum For the same output. The 23hp on a 52” is severely underpowered imo.

also, I think that the vanguard 37hp being efi.. that should help on fuel consumption. And another thing. Having an engine that doesn’t bog down is going to increase the life of the engine. Bogging down strains the engine which in turn reduces the life.
You do have a point. But based on your logic I would buy like a 35HP for my XONEi,which would be 50% power. That just doesn’t make sense to me but If it’s important to y’all then do it! It sure would be a beast.