Scag V ride 2 52" review 12 hours in

OP
S

slowleak1

LawnSite Senior Member
Wow, didnt expect to come back to 7 pages of bickering.

Unfortunately I had 2 boats go down and havent had any time to get the mower to the shop. I did however call the dealer and they are more than willing to take a look and discuss what is going on.

To reiterate, the mower cuts awesome. Theres no doubt about that. I just personally dont feel that the rpms should drop as much as they do when Im cutting 7 day growth. I also think that we all have different opinions on the definition of bog. Obviously there will be rpm fluctuations as we cut, but what I am experiencing is more than that.

Its also unfair to use the logic of "well I dont have any issues with the same setup so I dont see the big deal". And to the guy who said I knowingly bought a smaller engine, well yeah. I know I did. Literally nobody around here except for the gravely dealer carries kohler, and I personally dont care for kohler, so yeah. If I would have known the power, or lack of I never would have bought the kawasaki. I just assumed that a company like scag wouldnt have put a motor that is this under powered on a machine this size. Thats what I get for assuming.

Let me put it to yall this way, I am 100 percent confident that if I put a mulch kit on this machine right now, it would not do the job properly.

I also think that this machine, even though I have to slow down to cut, will give me years of great cutting. I guess at the end of the day all I am trying to say is I expected to be able to cut faster than what I can right now.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
So basically you like it, but you just wish you could mow faster, is what I saw. That's a good deal!

I missed it in your first post (my apologies) where you said you were readjusting the deck about every 4 hours. I'd make sure the Dealer looks at that too because in my experience, that's not right. I have not had to adjust my deck since it was dialed in the first time years ago. My Dealer's comment about the deck getting out of alignment was, "It would have to fall off your trailer to get knocked out of alignment." (I'm sure he was exaggerating)

Honestly, I would have to actually see the grass that is causing you to slow down to less than 3 mph to cut it, in order to comment on the bogging. If you say it bogs, then it bogs - not doubting you on that. For me, I have to tell my kid to slow down so he doesn't beat the mower to pieces when we mow. The grass NEVER slows down my V-ride. The terrain on the other hand? Definitely!

I never thought you having issues with your engine bogging was "no big deal." I just personally think something is amiss there (with your motor). But again, as I said above, I really would need to see what you're cutting to say more. I don't know what your expectations are in terms of how fast you SHOULD be able to go either. Crank up the R's on it and rock on!!

Really hope your dealer can figure it out for you. Ferris has a stand-on with a 28hp I think. Might have to trade up !!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
I hear southern grasses are a whole other animal altogether?

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Its also unfair to use the logic of "well I dont have any issues with the same setup so I dont see the big deal".

I don't believe I said that, but if I implied it, I didn't mean it. This kind of thing happens to everyone.

All I meant was we have 3 and do not have problems with low power. We have had to have the RPM's adjusted via the throttle cable however.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
You also need to consider the torque these engines have not the horsepower. For instance the kawa 26 hp EFI has the same torque as a kawa fx 691 22 hp. And the fx 801 only has 6 ft lbs more torque more the 691.

This is an excellent point.

I have a Toro Groundsmaster 325-D with 72" Guardian deck. Due to being a diesel, we can go through 3' tall grass with it and the belt will slip before running out of power.

Bought it specifically for mowing some fields that we were brush hogging but they want it done monthly and a more finish mow appearance.

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Fanatic
Lol what do you mean it shouldn’t be doing that. If you go slow enough, obviously it won’t bog down. But neither will my 5.5hp Honda. There’s nothing wrong with my governer. The point is efficiency. How fast can you go through it without it bogging down? The answer is; a hell of a lot faster if you have almost double the horse power.

but as I mentioned before (unless my maths is off), if the 52” were to have the exact same power across all spindles that my 36” has.. it would need 28.5hp to match. So doesn’t it make sense that all models should carry the same power per cutting area that the smallest unit in the lineup has. That’s more of a question for the scag development team I guess, but I can’t get my head around the 52” model having significantly less torque then my 36”
Some engineers never go out and actually field test their products before shoving them down the assembly line... they think “oh, we have this engine and it’s cheap for us to purchase from say Kaw or Kohler, so let’s just slap it on this mainstream mower! 80% of people will be fine with it!” Arrrrrrg :wall

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Not that it's not a good measuring stick for comparison's sake, but peak torque is achieved usually around 67-75% of WOT.

Top Forums