Scag V ride 2 52" review 12 hours in

MILLC

LawnSite Member
Wow, didnt expect to come back to 7 pages of bickering.

Unfortunately I had 2 boats go down and havent had any time to get the mower to the shop. I did however call the dealer and they are more than willing to take a look and discuss what is going on.

To reiterate, the mower cuts awesome. Theres no doubt about that. I just personally dont feel that the rpms should drop as much as they do when Im cutting 7 day growth. I also think that we all have different opinions on the definition of bog. Obviously there will be rpm fluctuations as we cut, but what I am experiencing is more than that.

Its also unfair to use the logic of "well I dont have any issues with the same setup so I dont see the big deal". And to the guy who said I knowingly bought a smaller engine, well yeah. I know I did. Literally nobody around here except for the gravely dealer carries kohler, and I personally dont care for kohler, so yeah. If I would have known the power, or lack of I never would have bought the kawasaki. I just assumed that a company like scag wouldnt have put a motor that is this under powered on a machine this size. Thats what I get for assuming.

Let me put it to yall this way, I am 100 percent confident that if I put a mulch kit on this machine right now, it would not do the job properly.

I also think that this machine, even though I have to slow down to cut, will give me years of great cutting. I guess at the end of the day all I am trying to say is I expected to be able to cut faster than what I can right now.

Your last sentence wraps up my experience with my vride demo. Overall very similar experience minus the deck adjustments but I only had it for a day .I run a stander B right now and really was expecting a whole new world with the vride and was impressed but yes still have to do some of the same things I thought would be eliminated.

Prestigious1

LawnSite Member
Not that it's not a good measuring stick for comparison's sake, but peak torque is achieved usually around 67-75% of WOT.
That's not quite accurate. What I believe you mean is peak torque is around 67-75% RPM of WOT....that equates to 2400 to 2700 RPM if we are at 3600 RPM at WOT.

Prestigious1

LawnSite Member
I'm questioning the deck coming out of adjustment several times. How? Fore and aft or side to side or?? If the rear of the deck is lower, it will most definitely work the motor much harder!

As for a 37 using just a bit more fuel? Umm...no. In most cases the 37 is using a LOT more fuel!

One can make power in a host of ways. For example, let's say the goal is 425hp in your little weekend coupe. A relatively mild naturally aspirated big block Chevy 502 get's us to that number easily. Or, we can do a 3L twin turbo V6 and arrive at roughly the same hp & torque levels. We can also do a turbo-supercharged 2L 4 cylinder to get the same power. 3 entirely different means to achieve the same goal. One thing they share in common? When making that power they are all burning about the same amount of fuel. Now when maximum power is not required, or in a low load scenarios, guess which engine is burning quite a but more fuel? And the least amount of fuel? BINGO!!

Now, let's say we power the same vehicle with a simpler turbocharged 2L 4 cylinder making 275hp. In most respects, it gives similiar performance to the big block in most conditions you will encounter...and burn far less fuel than that big block Chevy. It depends how much you really need that extra bit of power for all out performance? If you drive on the street 98% of the time, but want all out performance at the dragstrip...and you're will to pay the cost of the fuel 100% of the time for your 2% of time on the track, then great! But for almost everything else, almost all the time the smaller engine does the job just fine...I mean after all, it's no slouch by way of comparison. I'm hopeful some are making the connection Mr. Obvious...LOL

Under normal mowing conditions, even normal wet conditions, or even a bit overgrown wet grass, there's simply no way the OP should have to slowdown to 3mph to prevent bogging.

First I question the speed...how do you know you're dropped to 3mph? How many RPM is the motor dropping when you say it's bogging? I suspect there's more to this story...and I know this is an old thread, but still relevant for comparisons.

Top Forums