Scag V Ride 2, 52", Vanguard EFI 37 - black smoke and dead on the second day of cutting.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I would be a bit pissed my new machine had a issue, but it seems the dealer is taking care of it. These things happen unfortunately. The real deal will be how the dealer/scag handle the issue.
At my full time job, we bought a new diesel Mercedes van. The engine hydrolocked and got very messed up with less than 4k miles. Sucks, but happens every once in a while.

OP
C

curtiscowher

LawnSite Member
I've seen brand new kawasaki's and kohler's blown up , you should see the pile my dealer has..It's a lemon , not brand specific.
The more responses I get the better I feel about this situation. It really does seem like this is an isolated issue. Again i would have never expected this to happen to me, but uh **** happens LOL. Just hope all will be good after they fix it:)

NickTF

LawnSite Member
The more responses I get the better I feel about this situation. It really does seem like this is an isolated issue. Again i would have never expected this to happen to me, but uh **** happens LOL. Just hope all will be good after they fix it:)
Scag has always been outstanding in my experience and if for any reason at all you may have unsatisfactory response from your dealer (unlikely), don't hesitate to reach out to them directly.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I have the Vanguard 37 EFI on my Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive 72”. At 677 hrs. I've had no issues.

If I bought a new mower today this is the engine I'd prefer. If possible I'd get the 40 hp.

Once you get a new motor or they give you a new mower, you'll be a happy camper with the extra power.

Look at it like this. What you’re facing is only a temporary short setback. This to shall pass.

What if you were in Louisiana right now or held by the Taliban. I have ask myself this recently when I found myself complaining about some if my current challenges. In light of what others are facing, it makes our problems look small.

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
37efi on ttII, over 300 hours. It has been good to me so far. I will be watching this to see what happens. This certainly sounds like all of our worst nightmare.... no one wants to buy new and be DOA like that.

FYI... NO SCAG in current production with a vanguard engine has the oil guard system on it.... YET.

If I am wrong, then that must mean they are popping it out at GIE this year.

NickTF

LawnSite Member
37efi on ttII, over 300 hours. It has been good to me so far. I will be watching this to see what happens. This certainly sounds like all of our worst nightmare.... no one wants to buy new and be DOA like that.

FYI... NO SCAG in current production with a vanguard engine has the oil guard system on it.... YET.

That’s my understanding as well on the oil guard Ferris I think was first with this not sure if the option is there on other mowers yet.

Eric502

LawnSite Senior Member
They (whoever the heck that is) reportedly have kicked the idea around for at least a year that I know of. The idea I heard was they first was going to put out machines with the Vang engine (that was a while back now) and then the next year pop out the Oil guard with it, that the machines had to have design changes to make room for the oil system. I THOUGHT we would have seen it last year... COVID... so there goes that idea I guess.

Ferris and B&S are same company (or were), so no surprise why Ferris has had it all this time.

May never see it.

NickTF

LawnSite Member
They (whoever the heck that is) reportedly have kicked the idea around for at least a year that I know of. The idea I heard was they first was going to put out machines with the Vang engine (that was a while back now) and then the next year pop out the Oil guard with it, that the machines had to have design changes to make room for the oil system. I THOUGHT we would have seen it last year... COVID... so there goes that idea I guess.

Ferris and B&S are same company (or were), so no surprise why Ferris has had it all this time.

May never see it.
It’s also possible the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. The idea is good, just may not offer enough benefit to redesign mowers to fit it. Time will tell.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
That’s my understanding as well on the oil guard Ferris I think was first with this not sure if the option is there on other mowers yet.
Hustler has had Oil Guard available for 2021, not sure if it was available in 2020.

OP
C

curtiscowher

LawnSite Member
Scag has always been outstanding in my experience and if for any reason at all you may have unsatisfactory response from your dealer (unlikely), don't hesitate to reach out

Correct. No oil guard system on our SCAG either. I will update this post as needed... heard back from the dealer today and they have not diagnosed it yet. Ran codes, nothing popped up. So I guess we just have to wait and let them troubleshoot more.

Top Forums